Do egglayers get "gravid"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puriti

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was looking in my tank one of my zebra danios has an abnormally fat stomach, mind you i do have females and males and they do knock the females up, and I'm looking to see if it has dropsy but it really just looks like the scales are being stretched and it's swimming normally, it's schooling, so I'm thinking it's just fat or pregnant... so I was wondering if it is pregnant if egglayers get really fat before they lay eggs

oh they do, then the next day they look normal again...but she could also be constipated so just keep an eye out :D

I shall, but I don't think she is cuz I usually feed them peas 3 nights a week (or at least I'm trying ...I did it last week lol)

yeah but I mean like... get REALLY fat before they lay their eggs, I don't normally watch my egg layers being pregnant because they move too fricken fast! And I'm always alert for dropsy since I had 2 have it, I saved one of the zebra danios which are one of the ones in my tank but pregnant danios aren't exactly my expertise lol I've never seen the eggs, just the fry.

If I remember a post months ago about breeding danios, the advice was to take a female who was obviously gravid, put her in a tank with gravel bottome with multiple males, and the males would follow her in a train fertilizing the eggs behind her as she scattered them. If this info was correct, the timing of the spawn can be anticipated by the plumpness of the female. So yes, females to bulge when full of eggs.

My danios spawned several times, quite a show actually. lol. sadly nothing ever came of it. My loach ate all the eggs I think. *points evil-ly at loach with bared teeth*

I've never seen any of my fish lay eggs/give birth, they're just...there when I notice them lol *pokes Chris's evil monkey that lives in his closet which now jrp has obtained power to* lol

Well, as you guys said, and what I thought was correct. They're now skinny again and my males are trying to knock em up.. lol I never can find their eggs though!

Back
Top Bottom