Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do grey blackworms mean they are dead?

The darker ones are clearly living but the grey colored ones seem like they are dead maybe? Yes they have a bit of an odor. Just using the confirmed live ones and rinsing well until I hear back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1442981213560.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	278365  

Brenna
brennae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 02:19 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I let them warm up a bit and they were gonners. I got out the live ones and rinsed the rest down the sink. Not sure what I did wrong.

Brenna
Old 10-20-2015, 01:29 PM   #3

I'm not sure how I never saw this thread, but yes, they are dead. Black worms need cooler temps like white worms do. When I had the big fishroom going, I had acquired a monster energy drink cooler(coolest fridge you've ever seen lol), I set it to about 55 and drilled a hole small enough for airline tubing and sealed it with silicone. I actually had to feed the buggers when I ordered by the pound because they would last forever.
Old 10-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

So I don't always have a lot of sense and I kept them in my fridge in a container with not even a half inch of water covering them. I rinsed daily or everyother on occasion. I assumed there would be enough air in the plastic container. It was a cheap sandwich gladware thing and isn't air tight. So are you saying they needed more air than I provided?

Brenna
Old 10-20-2015, 11:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
So I don't always have a lot of sense and I kept them in my fridge in a container with not even a half inch of water covering them. I rinsed daily or everyother on occasion. I assumed there would be enough air in the plastic container. It was a cheap sandwich gladware thing and isn't air tight. So are you saying they needed more air than I provided?

I kept mine in more water so a little flow was necessary, but if I could find a cheap chiller, I would culture them in a tank again.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:14 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah. See the guy I usually buy them from at the swaps tells me only put a bit of water in because they can drown. I have no idea then what I did wrong to have such a huge die off after it must been a week or week and a half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Brenna
Old 10-21-2015, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennae View Post
Ah. See the guy I usually buy them from at the swaps tells me only put a bit of water in because they can drown. I have no idea then what I did wrong to have such a huge die off after it must been a week or week and a half.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
I've never had an issue with drowning, but the small amount of water thing may go back to when another worm was popular. I can't remember what they are called but they needed atmospheric air or they would die.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah that's what this guy always tells me! He specifically said thay air was as important as water. So I spent $18 on organic blackworms and tossed over half. He used to have a biz partner and one of them is a member here but rarely posts.

Edit - come to think of it the lfs told me the same thing about only using a little water too. Of course they sell two ounce cups for $4 so in use that in one to two days.

Brenna
Old 10-21-2015, 12:16 PM   #9

http://aquariumtidings.com/how-to-cu...s-black-worms/

Tags
black, dead, worm, worms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com