Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-24-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do they really not eat there eggs ?

I was just reading a fish book and was looking at information about white cloud minnows as I just purchased some for my snail tank and it said that they ignore there eggs.

Is this true ?

Old 09-24-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The breeding pair may ignore their eggs, but others will see that as a food source. White clouds are scatter layers, which means they deposit their eggs/sperm as they swim. They do not raise the young and may eat them if allowed.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to kyektulu
I have bred my white cloud mountain minnows several times and have recently just done a spawn of well over ninety fish.
Yes they do eat the eggs so if you want to keep the parents in the same tank make sure that the substrate you use are big pebbles with lots of gaps inbetween so that eggs can fall out of the parents reach.
Personally I always take the parents out and have several different tanks which I use for breeding.
Of all the fish we have bred our white clouds are the best and most regular.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fantastic advice, kyektulu! Kudos to you!

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:56 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you. I have a spare tank also it is the same tank as they are in at the moment. So I could remove the parents and place them in this tank, leave them for a day then remove them and put them back into there original tank.

Tags
eat, egg, eggs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com