Do they really not eat there eggs ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steven A

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was just reading a fish book and was looking at information about white cloud minnows as I just purchased some for my snail tank and it said that they ignore there eggs.

Is this true ?

The breeding pair may ignore their eggs, but others will see that as a food source. White clouds are scatter layers, which means they deposit their eggs/sperm as they swim. They do not raise the young and may eat them if allowed.

I have bred my white cloud mountain minnows several times and have recently just done a spawn of well over ninety fish.
Yes they do eat the eggs so if you want to keep the parents in the same tank make sure that the substrate you use are big pebbles with lots of gaps inbetween so that eggs can fall out of the parents reach.
Personally I always take the parents out and have several different tanks which I use for breeding.
Of all the fish we have bred our white clouds are the best and most regular.

Thank you. I have a spare tank also it is the same tank as they are in at the moment. So I could remove the parents and place them in this tank, leave them for a day then remove them and put them back into there original tank.

Back
Top Bottom