Does anyone know how to breed bristlenose plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy 1077

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wanting to breed bristlenose plecos so I went to the fish shop and bought 4 albino bristlenose plecos but they are only an 1 1/2 long can someone tell me how long it will take till there big enough so I can breed them :)

Bristle nose plecos reach sexual maturity between 9 to 12 months of age. Plecos are the hardest of fish to breed in captivity because they will only breed if they like the other pleco and you have to have the right environment. When breeding plecos like temperatures between 75 and 80 degrees F. A good temperature is 78 F. For the environment you must have a lot of hiding spots like caves or tunnels and a must need is drift wood. Drift wood contains many good nutrients the plecos need to survive. it is the most essential thing to have when keeping plecos. That's is about it I hope my post helps.

I breed BSN and they breed like rabbits so hope you have a plan for all these babies. They will breed at a young age if conditions are right. Like having a cave, log with a whole in it. The tighter the better it seems that they like to be smushed in a whole when laying there eggs to keep them safe. They really raise there self. By the time you see you have babies there already swimming around lol. If you notice a male Pleco hiding a lot that is probably where the babies are. My male hardly ever leaves his whole. I have so many plecos I been giving them away. Good luck with your breeding as I'm sure it won't be long. I have not had any luck breeding albinos but I have had the brown BSN have albino babies.

Ok thanks I have two fry grow out tanks as we'll a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom