Does water temp play a role in gender of developing fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie86

Aquarium Advice Regular
What are the odds that out of 3 batches of fry from 3 separate guppies that the 16 remaiming fry are ALL female??? Do I just have bad luck??? I know in reptiles that temp determins gender but has anyone noticed a correlation in fish??? I treated an ich outbreak with salt/heat while they were being "concieved" and maintained that temp for most of the pregnancy (about 3 weeks)...

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What size are the fry? Males don't start coloring up until they are around 1/2".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Heat can have an effect but all livebeareers are born female and can take over a year in extreme cases to "convert" to males!
Most show their true sex in 4-6 weeks if not sooner.
But in some cases with an extremely dominant male in the same tank a fry may "hide" its true sex for survival.
This was very common when I was breeding my kio swordtails.

I have 5 5 week old fry and 11 3 week old fry...of the 5 week old fry only 2 have started to get any color and it is minimal to say the least...one has 2 sm black dots on the base of her tail ; and the other has only a sm black outline forming on the base of her tail ) the others have the same pale yellow coloration as the mom. As for the 3 week old they havent started getting coloration at all (although one was born an entirely darker color from the rest...entire body blackish, the rest were the clearish yellow) I have the 3 week fry in a mesh breeding net...the 5 week fry are now free swimming in the tank.

All they all in he same tank as father?
Males release hormones that stunt(slow,hinder) the growth of other males.
Water changes do more then remove nitrAtes and will help the fry grow faster eitherway.

The moms were preg when I got them...5week olds definitely not from my male...the 3 week olds possibly...I only have the 2 adult female and 1 male...I do about a 40% water change weekly ( 2 20% every 3 days)

All they all in he same tank as father?
Males release hormones that stunt(slow,hinder) the growth of other males.
Water changes do more then remove nitrAtes and will help the fry grow faster eitherway.

This is not true, while it is widely known to science that fish secrete growth hormones, numerous studies have failed to find any growth inhibiting chemicals.

This is not true, while it is widely known to science that fish secrete growth hormones, numerous studies have failed to find any growth inhibiting chemicals.

I respectfully disagree.
With the exception to the statement
"numerous studies have failed to FIND any growth inhibiting chemicals".:whistle:
This a quote from Jack Wattley on GIH(Growth Inhibiting Hormones);
JacKWattleyDiscus
06-06-2002, 08:39 PM
Hello Matt
The GI Toxin or Hormone has been in play for the longest of times. We have run physical experiments sometimes planned others accidentally. Each and every time the smaller fish in the tank even from different strains have just fallen behind and become stunted. Hobbyists today always call the hatchery asking why their smaller 3" discus aren't growing as big as their 5" single fish after 1 years time.
The experiment is being experienced by all who are mixing different size fish every day and don't know that the GIT exists. And no you cannot remove it by doing water changes. I do those on a daily basis and it does not help.
If more true scientific research was placed on the discus community, so much would be revealed. Without the scientific proof we have to accept the results and theorize on the why's.
Can you immagine one little scientific experiment that told us that by adding a little something to our tanks it would diffuse it.  ::) Whishfull thinking.
To shed some light to the rest of the hobbyists, try to purchase and maintain all the discus in a tank of same size to avoid this problem. If you have different sizes in the same tank, get another tank. Heck that's how I did it, except that now I have 326 tanks and too much work. :p
Gabe

And this is where I found it;
Growth Inhibiting Hormone [Archive] - SimplyDiscus
I was un aware that waterchanges make no difference,but it actually makes senses.
The only way I saw a "late bloomer"(over 6 months old easy) change from appearing like a female to a male was when the most dominant male was removed from the tank or the other fish.

I have a paper on numerous studies that I unfortunately cannot share because I do not own the rights and it has to be purchased, but in short it states that environmental stressors are the cause of slow or minimal growth. Whether those stressors be, competition for food, water quality or the presence of larger territorial fish. The presence of a growth inhibiting hormone would be counter productive to the continuity of a species.

While all the info about hormones is fascinating it doesnt really answer my origional question.

Sorry!
I think the real answer is NO heat does not effect guppies.

Does temperature influence the gender of guppy fry?

This I agree with, I believe guppies are one of the few species uneffected by temp and ph skews. I would give them some time, my Puerto Rican males didn't start forming a gonopodium until just before they started to get color.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

That was extremely interesting! Gonna look over it better tomorrow to see if guppy was one of the species tested... :D:thumbup::D:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom