Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Dwarf gourami

Recently set up new ten gallon planted tank with one male and on female dwarf gourami hoping they will breed.
Should I add one more female?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1217505996.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	205199

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-455473813.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	205200

Old 10-31-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think so. 10g is small for 3 gourami's. they might become territorial.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I was in a rush should have set up a bigger tank! Well guess I will be setting up number three soon
Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

How recently did you introduce those two to the tank? I'm asking because they seem to be rather dully colored, especially the male. If that's their normal, non-stressed coloration i'd recommend choosing a different pair to spawn. Brighter parents generally make brighter babies, which are more desirable and easier to find (paying or free) homes for.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's that black thingy in pic #1? Is that a HOB intake? If so, your fish will never breed with that going. I'd suggest you do a little more research on breeding these fish First off, a 10 gal is plenty big enough to spawn them in but too small to grow out the fry to maturity so another larger tank will be necessary in the future. (FYI: Fish farmers breed these fish in plastic bags in styro boxes so the size of breeding tank is not as important. They raise the fry in ponds.)

Here's a link to an article on these fish. Pay attention to the breeding section towards the bottom of the article. Dwarf Gourami

Hope this helps
Old 11-01-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Good eye on that...a bubblenest wouldn't hold up well in a tank with a HOB unless the flow was baffled to the point that it's no longer doing the job.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny leftist View Post
Good eye on that...a bubblenest wouldn't hold up well in a tank with a HOB unless the flow was baffled to the point that it's no longer doing the job.
Details, details, details LOL
Breeding most Gouramis are like breeding bettas: The best water movement for breeding is NO water movement. The farms I've been to just had a clump of water sprite floating on the top and the fish in the box. THAT'S IT!!!
When I bred these, I just used a bare tank. Since the parents aren't in there for long, the need to decorate is not there. These should not be left with the fry as they grow anyway so................why decorate?

Thanks for the nod
Old 11-01-2013, 11:57 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I used to breed bettas and I would use golden pothos stems and hornwort in an otherwise bare 20gal that was half full. That's all till the fry were 3 weeks old, at which point i'd introduce a seasoned sponge filter. The trick is daily water changes rather than active filtration
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny leftist View Post
I used to breed bettas and I would use golden pothos stems and hornwort in an otherwise bare 20gal that was half full. That's all till the fry were 3 weeks old, at which point i'd introduce a seasoned sponge filter. The trick is daily water changes rather than active filtration
Yes, Like Betta fry, Dwarf Gourami fry don't like water movement. (You can see some of my breeder's tanks in my albums.)That's what makes these fish so easy to breed but where most breeders fail with the fry. The concept of a fish tank, with fish, and no filtration, just goes against the grain. lol But it's how these fish breed in the wild as well. (After the rainy season has ended. ) I didn't even do water changes on my Bettas until the filter went in.

But if the OP follows the directions in the article I posted, success is sure to follow
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Betta fry grow a lot slower without water changes...they produce a LOT of stunting hormones. I leave the tank at half volume till I put in the filter, then fill it all the way since the babies are usually hitting a growth spurt about then and need more stretching room.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com