Dwarf gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

55gls

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Recently set up new ten gallon planted tank with one male and on female dwarf gourami hoping they will breed.
Should I add one more female?

image-1217505996.jpg

image-455473813.jpg

I don't think so. 10g is small for 3 gourami's. they might become territorial.

I was in a rush should have set up a bigger tank! Well guess I will be setting up number three soon

How recently did you introduce those two to the tank? I'm asking because they seem to be rather dully colored, especially the male. If that's their normal, non-stressed coloration i'd recommend choosing a different pair to spawn. Brighter parents generally make brighter babies, which are more desirable and easier to find (paying or free) homes for.

What's that black thingy in pic #1? Is that a HOB intake? If so, your fish will never breed with that going. I'd suggest you do a little more research on breeding these fish ;) First off, a 10 gal is plenty big enough to spawn them in but too small to grow out the fry to maturity so another larger tank will be necessary in the future. (FYI: Fish farmers breed these fish in plastic bags in styro boxes so the size of breeding tank is not as important. They raise the fry in ponds.)

Here's a link to an article on these fish. Pay attention to the breeding section towards the bottom of the article. Dwarf Gourami

Hope this helps

Good eye on that...a bubblenest wouldn't hold up well in a tank with a HOB unless the flow was baffled to the point that it's no longer doing the job.

Good eye on that...a bubblenest wouldn't hold up well in a tank with a HOB unless the flow was baffled to the point that it's no longer doing the job.

Details, details, details LOL :D
Breeding most Gouramis are like breeding bettas: The best water movement for breeding is NO water movement. ;) The farms I've been to just had a clump of water sprite floating on the top and the fish in the box. THAT'S IT!!!
When I bred these, I just used a bare tank. Since the parents aren't in there for long, the need to decorate is not there. These should not be left with the fry as they grow anyway so................why decorate? :whistle:

Thanks for the nod ;) (y)

I used to breed bettas and I would use golden pothos stems and hornwort in an otherwise bare 20gal that was half full. That's all till the fry were 3 weeks old, at which point i'd introduce a seasoned sponge filter. The trick is daily water changes rather than active filtration

I used to breed bettas and I would use golden pothos stems and hornwort in an otherwise bare 20gal that was half full. That's all till the fry were 3 weeks old, at which point i'd introduce a seasoned sponge filter. The trick is daily water changes rather than active filtration

Yes, Like Betta fry, Dwarf Gourami fry don't like water movement. (You can see some of my breeder's tanks in my albums.)That's what makes these fish so easy to breed but where most breeders fail with the fry. The concept of a fish tank, with fish, and no filtration, just goes against the grain. lol But it's how these fish breed in the wild as well. (After the rainy season has ended. (y)) I didn't even do water changes on my Bettas until the filter went in. :eek: :D

But if the OP follows the directions in the article I posted, success is sure to follow (y)

Betta fry grow a lot slower without water changes...they produce a LOT of stunting hormones. I leave the tank at half volume till I put in the filter, then fill it all the way since the babies are usually hitting a growth spurt about then and need more stretching room.

Betta fry grow a lot slower without water changes...they produce a LOT of stunting hormones. I leave the tank at half volume till I put in the filter, then fill it all the way since the babies are usually hitting a growth spurt about then and need more stretching room.

Yes they do, I just used such small containers to spawn them in that they were moved to grow out tanks fairly soon after the filter was introduced so I didn't need to worry about this. If I remember correctly, the stunting hormone doesn't come into play until after the labrynth is developed at which point, mine were in larger tanks by then. But everyone has their own methods with these fish. (This was just what I did to raise them commercially. ;) )

They are just very similar to breeding Dwarf Gourami so I threw this in here :whistle:

(y)

Back
Top Bottom