Dwarf gourami and bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D_Tristan22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 2 male DG and 2 females DG. Today both my males are being aggressive with each other and they both seem the be building a bubble nest. They are using moss that I have and basically any loose plants to build it.

Does this mean they are ready the breed?
I didn't get them to breed but I knew it was a possibility. Should I also keep other things in mind?

In my tank I have
An angel
4 guppys
2 kuhli loaches
And the 4 DG.
4 guppys

I don't know anything about breeding? What should I do?

Can someone tell me the basics I should know?
How does the female chose which one she wants to breed with?
When will they officially start breeding?

Okay. So the bubble nest will eventually have some color, which may be red, this would most likely be the eggs. You want to make sure that none of the other fish are attacking the nest, as well as that there is a lid on the aquarium at ALL TIMES. Otherwise the bubble nest may pop.

Okay. So the bubble nest will eventually have some color, which may be red, this would most likely be the eggs. You want to make sure that none of the other fish are attacking the nest, as well as that there is a lid on the aquarium at ALL TIMES. Otherwise the bubble nest may pop.

Okay I have a lid on right now. One of the males seems to be stealing bubbles from the other males nest. Is that normal?

Well no. To make the bubbles they simply go to the surface and take air into their mouth, and spit it out with a coat of saliva underwater. Stealing bubbles isn't necessary and you may want to find a way to keep the male from doing so. Maybe get a floating breeder to put him in. He'll be near his mate and nest but he won't be able to do any harm.

It's weird now. The one stealing bubbles has completely lost interest in his nest and the other one has taken over it.

Well they have completely stopped. They don't acknowledge it anymore. It's still there but it just looks like bubbles. Idk it's weird.

They're possibly just waiting for the females to release eggs. Once that happens they should pay a lot more attention.

It's been a couple of days now and don't they do a weird holding for females to release?

One of my males is actually wrapping himself with my females:) he's using both females though is that normal?

He's a pimp haha

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 5020N using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Glad this is here!!! He is spitting the eggs into the nest as I wright! Now what???

Glad this is here!!! He is spitting the eggs into the nest as I wright! Now what???

Well I was told to make sure that the other fish don't east the eggs. Sadly all mine were eaten within 12 hours by the others but this was the first time. I'll probably have better chance next time. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom