Dwarf Gourami sex?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TiffanyT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How do I tell the difference between male and female dwarf gouramis? I bought two randomly and am wondering if I have two males or a pair since one keeps chasing the other.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 87
I have one just like that one. I think it's a female. From what I have been told is male s have pointy fins

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My blue one's fins are pointier I wonder if that one is a male. The orange one seems to be the aggressive one chasing the other

Because I bought one that I thought it was a male because he had a pointier fin towards the back but was smaller and the one like yours kept picking on him every once in a while. And I found him dead n only had him for a week which I don't know why

But I had one that had a rounded back fin and another one that had a pointy back fin so they were both males???

They sometimes bite the points off the other males fins.

Females are Silver !

Colored DGs are male regardless of how pointy the fins are. And DGs may fight to the death in smaller tanks.

If one is getting picked on, move it.

All juveniles have rounded back fins. The males grow longer fins as they mature, females don't. And yes, sometimes there is fin damage because they fight. But the color difference is glaringly obvious with the DGs in spite of what a few misinformed individuals post online. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom