Easiest breeding fish (NON-livebearer)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
JackSpadesSI said:
Kribs get to be 4" right? The reason I was thinking of GBRs is because they're something like half that size and I do realize that I'm working with a smallish-medium tank.

From what you've described, it sounds like Kribs are nearly as prolific as guppies in the breeding department. That's really not what I want. I just can't stock hundreds of fry.

Are GBRs not an option, or something?

Cories were mentioned above as a possibility? I've owned cories before, but no breeding has occured (it is possible that I didn't have both genders, though). Any tricks involved?

What's a krib??

My vote is for convict cichlids. Excellent parents.

meegosh said:
Kribs are the easiest I'd say. Pretty much get a pair and add water. You'll have new batches of fry every month or so if you keep your water clean. Give them a cave or a rock to lay their eggs on/under.

They might eat the guppy's my female eats neons.. But only the female in my 35. In the 110, she was raised with neons so she knows a lot better... I could see them breeding in a 20g but they are to aggressive to have other fish in with them IMO. All my males do is chase things all over the tank. And when they actually have babies, it's way worse then that! Nothing was able to be more then 2 thirds of the tank. Bit they are pretty easy. You don't need to trigger them at all. And once you remove the babies a month later you have more! They need a cave to spawn. A was always told a flower pot works good so I decided to put one in once. Hahaha my kribs would rather spend the three days getting their own nest under a rock then use the pot. They have piled sand 2 inches above where I had it... Also they are fun to watch raise a family unless one of the parents it's over protective. Then it becomes hectic. In a 20 I'd say you would have to rehome the less protective one or you could probably expect the worst. If you do go with kribs get an albino female and normal male!

Attachments

• image-2678154929.jpg
    image-2678154929.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 50
LyndaB said:
My mistake, I saw "electric blue" and immediately though of EBJD...... sorry about that. :oops:

meegosh, you think 20 gallons is large enough for the kribs? My one pair of adults, plus their hundreds of fry, really used all the real estate in a 30 gallon.

If the OP doesn't want to be inundated with fry, which is what I'm bringing away from their post (although I also brought away EBJD :facepalm: ), I actually brought all my kribs to the lfs because they were breeding so much!

I know what your saying! Maybe by themselves but still idk.

My kribs are in a 45g and the female is extremely over protective i think...it's def a hassle to have an overprotective parent lol.

Smcoyle87 said:
My kribs are in a 45g and the female is extremely over protective i think...it's def a hassle to have an overprotective parent lol.

That's to bad. I just lost one of my females not that long ago.

image-3518938189.jpg

I believe the female is in the back there

Attachments

• image-2120771327.jpg
    image-2120771327.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image-2359647749.jpg
    image-2359647749.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 43
  • image-250426948.jpg
    image-250426948.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 49
My vote is for multies (shelldwellers), they show lots of complex social behavior (colony), live in shells, and raise their young. It's great to watch and totally controllable and acceptable in a small tank.

I had to look up "multies" - those are pretty cool! I now have an idea for my 10g :D

I've read that danios aren't too hard to spawn and they can be kept in a smaller tank.

Back
Top Bottom