Easiest fish to breed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've thought of killifish but don't they have a very short life span and require drying out the eggs then rewetting them in order for them to hatch?

Not least killifish, look at the link I posted, it gives more info. They are livebearers (not really technically killies anyway, although that annual thing is more of a myth related to the seasonal type of ecosystem they live in rather than their actual lifespan)

They may work. Do the females drop a steady supply of fry? How long typically does it take them to reach full size?

They aren't as prolific as guppies, the females give birth to just a few fry at a time usually over the course of a day or two. I'm not sure how fast they mature, I think it's only a few months though similar to other small livebearers. They don't eat their young so that's a bonus.

I've had really good luck with pure endlers, they don't seem to eat their young either.

I'll look into them. The main deciding factor is going to be availability, guppies will likely win here but I may be able to find endlers, unlikely I will find the killi's. Best part is I live in Canada so online is very restricted. With endlers do they all tend to not eat thier fry?

I have mixed black bar and peacock endler's in one tank and blondes in another. As far as I can tell none of them eat their fry, but the blondes don't seem to be as productive as the others.

Ive bred mosquito fish before. Though really i just kept them and they unexpectedly bred on their own. Those fish are extremely hardy

I don't think I'll be able to get mosquito fish, I do have some guppies coming though, had to order females.

So I talked to my LFS and am getting some guppies. The other fish were not an option, so went with guppies. Any tips anyone has to get them breeding would be gladly accepted.

kdpuffer said:
So I talked to my LFS and am getting some guppies. The other fish were not an option, so went with guppies. Any tips anyone has to get them breeding would be gladly accepted.

Put them in water lol. Youll have fry in no time

my platy spawns an average of once every 4weeks to and average of 20-30 fry.
they grow pretty quickly (my first batch is about 6weeks old and 1/4 to 1/3 an inch long from fish to fish)
i'd recommend any livebearer actually...
my mollies take an average of 5-6weeks to spawn, but their young are bigger and grow faster
you decide if the trade-off is worth it :)

for the record: i love livebearing fish, so please try to go for the ugly ones that won't be missed as much :(

EDIT:
(just saw your final decision after this was posted)
i've heard that having slight salinity to the water is best... about 1tbsp of water salt to every 5gal.

What if I wanted my tigerfish to have pretty ones? Lol jk, I'm gonna get what I can get and the appearance doesn't really matter

Once you get a pair of fish to lay some eggs it become pretty easy to keep breeding them after. In fact they'll keep breeding till your sick of them and want nothing more to do with them lol. Bred Jack Dempsey after there first spawn they kept spawning every 6 weeks while fry were still in the tank. Bred dovii after there first spawn they kept spawning within 3 weeks after removing there fry.

Well I got a used 10g and aquaclear 110 from a guy at work, gave it to me ? then when I got back to town from work I picked up another ten gallon marina kit and some guppies. Got some assorted females and a flamingo male aswell as a red cobra male and one undetermined little male. Seeded the filter with some media from another tank and off we go. So far three of the females are currently pregnant so we got a jump start. I have an old breeder box I'm gonna be using for now then I'll be throwing a currently in use filter on the other ten gallon for a grow out. Will have fish food before we know it- excellent

kdpuffer said:
Well I got a used 10g and aquaclear 110 from a guy at work, gave it to me ddc4d then when I got back to town from work I picked up another ten gallon marina kit and some guppies. Got some assorted females and a flamingo male aswell as a red cobra male and one undetermined little male. Seeded the filter with some media from another tank and off we go. So far three of the females are currently pregnant so we got a jump start. I have an old breeder box I'm gonna be using for now then I'll be throwing a currently in use filter on the other ten gallon for a grow out. Will have fish food before we know it- excellent

Nice job

So upon closer inspection all but one female is prego, woo hoo fish fry with no effort gotta love it lol.

Well as usual my trip to the LFS ended up with me buying new fish. Got a couple more female guppies, one of which was HUGE. She looked pretty squared off so after acclimating she went straight into the breeder box. Went to check on her an hour later and there was babies. So far there is more than 20 and she is still not done.

Back
Top Bottom