Easy, Fool-Proof way to breed tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharkie1025

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to breed my Black Skirt tetras - I have five of them (can't really tell if they're male or female, but I'm assuming I have at least one pair) in a 55 gallon tank, and I have empty 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks that I can use.
Is there an easiest way to breed them and to raise the fry quickly?
Thank you!

I want to breed my Black Skirt tetras - I have five of them (can't really tell if they're male or female, but I'm assuming I have at least one pair) in a 55 gallon tank, and I have empty 2.5 and 5 gallon tanks that I can use.

Is there an easiest way to breed them and to raise the fry quickly?

Thank you!

I too am planning on breeding tetras this year, and have done a lot of research. I'm planning to breed Von rio tetras, very similar set up.

For the Von rio tetras it's very easy to tell them apart, the males have much deeper color. I would think it's similar for the skirt? Might want to google that....

It's best to breed them with just 2, the others will just eat the eggs.

I'd go with the 5gal to spawn, and you eventually will need 2x 20-30gal tanks since there will be 100-500 juvies.....

I personally will not be messing with live foods since they are inconsistent on nutrition and are a lot of work. I'm using Golden pearls, which is a dry food and comes in several sizes, I'm planning on starting the fry with the 50-100 micron, and then the 100-200 micron, and from there on frozen baby brine shrimp and then adult brine shrimp.

I bought the golden pearls from Kensfish.com, it was the cheapest and great service.

I found a really nice article, I'll post it in a second.

Hope that helps!

Just reread the title, going with golden pearls is DEFINITELY the easy way to do it!

Here's the article, it is great! I printed it out and used a high lighter:
http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/fish-breeding/breeding-tetras.aspx

Also what is your water parameters out of the tap? Where I live it's really soft, low ph, so I don't need to worry, but depending on where you are you may need RO water.....

Have either of you spawned any non-cichlid egg layers yet? I've spawned several types of tetras and they are one of the trickier types compared to barbs and such.

Generally, female tetras will need to be seperated into a noncommunity tank and conditioned for 2-3 weeks prior to a spawning attempt. Males should also be conditioned seperate from the females but can stay in a community tank if you adjust food volume and type. The fry present difficulties of their own. Many are sensitive to light and become free swimming at variable times. Feeding fry can be difficult as they are tiny and sensitive to water conditions. I'd strongly recommend good old green water for the first few days of free swimming and then slowly start adding the golden pearls. Go with the smallest size golden pearls as well. For water quality a small sponge filter is necessary.

Best of luck and update the post.

I've spawned white clouds, and danios before.

I know they aren't the easiest fish to breed, but they are the easiest tetras... The article I posted explains the light very accurately.

I probably will do a green water culture as well...

Back
Top Bottom