EBJDxBGJD Spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bktgifridays

Aquarium Advice Activist
My breeding pair spawned on November 9th, I removed the eggs and hatched them in a seperate tank as I always do.Then spawned again to my surprise on November 30th, once again same procedure. Now less than 2 weeks later, I woke up this morning to yet another set of eggs! Normally this would be a fantastic problem, but i'm now running out of places / room for fry! Has anyone ever heard of Dempsey 's spawning so frequently? And any suggestions?

ForumRunner_20111211_153308.jpg

The simple solution would be to not remove the eggs if you don't have room to keep them. Most probably won't make it, so you won't have to house them.

Do you feed bbs to fry? Just started reading into this. Feel like i've been left in the dark , out of the loop for so long. Apparently its necessary for EBJD fry's survival?

I'm not any good at differentiating when they are really small, but eventually there is a major color difference. I don't use BBS for my spawns every time, but I do sometimes. I use microworms though, I do think live foods are essential since fry are constantly foraging. Live foods don't foul up as quickly as prepared foods do, and the movement really gets the fry feeding.

Wow...fed my little guys they're first meal of bbs last night and what a difference. I've never seen fry eat so much! Tons of fat little bellies!

ForumRunner_20120102_095512.jpg

Just removed the 15 or so fry that had survived from the last hatch of eggs that I was forced to leave in the tank due to lack of space. Did a 1/4 water change or less and 2 hours later, .... NEW EGGS! I Love my fish! Recently made room by finally selling bgjd's to lfs!

And just days away from being able to identify EB's in this batch

ForumRunner_20120105_095248.jpg

Well...a year and a month later and I've finally got it lol...EEBJD's at last
img_2337724_0_e988b945c4aedc8b321fc839291c1a48.jpg

It's quite possible I'll have some extras to sell. And shipping is a possibility. Most will likely go to the 2 fish stores near me. They've given me a qoute of $20 per fish(which they then sell for $49.99)! If your willing to match that price we might be able to work something out.

It's quite possible I'll have some extras to sell. And shipping is a possibility. Most will likely go to the 2 fish stores near me. They've given me a qoute of $20 per fish(which they then sell for $49.99)! If your willing to match that price we might be able to work something out.

I would be more then willing to match and raise to 21$ plus shipping. When do you estimate them being ready?

They're probably good to go whenever. ..was going to give them a couple more weeks to grow and color up more before selling but shipping is easier when they're smaller I believe. What's your location so I can get you a quote for shipping?

Virginia Beach, Va. 23464

I know the only way to be 100% sure of an EBJD'S sex is venting. In your experiance, have you found any visual indicators that help identify sexes. which would increase the likely hood of a fish being male or female ? Like with regular jacks, its the shape of the dorsal fin.

Last edited:
No...sorry. EBJD'S are tough. In my opinion venting is the only sure way. Even with regular jd's I no longer believe in the dorsal fin theory. I go more by the blue spangling if anything visual other than venting. I can show you a couple pictures of females I've had/have that you would swear were males if looking only at the long, elegant dorsal fins.

Back
Top Bottom