Egg sac?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

workfortheman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have 4 Dwarf Puffers in a 5 gallon with 2 algae eaters, java moss, and some snails. I have both Malaysian trumpet snails as well as some other "generic" snails. I recently have seen a couple clear "sacs" with little dots in them, possibly eggs? They seem to latch on to whatever they can. Are these baby snails? I really hope so, that would be great food for the DPs. . .

On another snail note, I recently put 8 of the "generic" snails (sorry for my ignorance) in an empty gallon milk jug. I tossed some freeze dried bloodworms in there for food, and hoped they would reproduce. They haven't. Any suggestions? Oh, I even did a water change after a week (it's been about 2 weeks)
thanks alot

sounds like the snails in your tank are reproducing. Depending on how quickly your DP eats up the snails, why not just let the snails all stay in his tank? I think they will breed more in the tank than in a milk jug. Or set up a little 5 gallon with a cool fish or two and let them breed in there.

Recent development: the DPs attacked and killed a larger snail, at least their own size!!!! those suckers are mean!

SO you guys don't think that a milk jug is big enough to breed snails? I've heard that they will reproduce in the simpest of conditions.....

I'd say your tank is overstocked IMO. I plan on getting a 10 gallon with 3-4 DP's after Christmas. I've been heavily researching DP's and I've found that they need 2-3 gallons each. Not because of waste production, but because of aggression. I'd make sure your tank is heavily planted to help reduce any conflict. Do you know how many are males or females?

As for the DP's attacking the snail, this is normal, they eat snails.

I think you will have a hard time growing a regular crop of snails in the tank with the DP's. They will kill snails much larger than themselves (and snatch the animal right out of the too-hard MTS shell - been there, done that!).

You need another tank to propagate snails. Some people get a 5-10gal running with a betta or something and a bunch of mystery snails for their DP's. The DP's do need regular baby snails as meals to keep their teeth worn down properly. I don't think the milk jug is going to create adequate conditions for the snails, but who knows. If you need/want snails. you can't get them to spawn, and if you don't want them, you have them out the wazoo - aquarist's paradox

Ok, I am trying to identify a strange egg sack that I found in my tank this morning it was not there last night. It looks like a mini ear of corn. It is above the water line. I noticed it because I was going to add water today. I have two yellow snails, bleeding hearts, goldfish (that changed colors), guppies, diamond fish, stripped daniels, and an albino bottom feeder. Any ideas as to what is growing in my tank? I've never had these snails before could it be them?

Some snails lay clutches of eggs above the water line, so that'd be my guess. If you don't want a zillion snails I'd recommend removing the egg sac.

Back
Top Bottom