Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
I noticed this morning that there are small white eggs on one of my plants in front of my heater and I'm confused.

I have 4 platy's, 1 swordtail, 1 molly, 2 ornate rainbows and 1 bristlenose pleco.

I believe that the rainbows and the pleco are the only ones that can lay eggs and all of the others are livebearers? The 2 rainbows are both female and I've had them for about 8 months now so I don't think I bought them pregnant. I don't know what sex the pleco is but I've had him/her for the last 6 months.

Can anyone shed some light on this? I tried to get pictures but I can't seem to get any good ones.

You're correct. Platies, swordtails, and mollies are all live bearers.

First, do you have snails in your tank? If so, I'm guessing they're snail eggs.

Second, are you sure you have two female rainbows? I have Praecox rainbows and the difference between males and females is subtle when they're small. Even one of my good LFSs didn't know the difference. I'm not familiar with ornate rainbows, but it could be a similar case.

Even if you're sure you have no snails and no male rainbows, it's still possible for the females or the pleco to lay eggs. They won't be fertile, but it's a sign of healthy, happy fish.

BigJim thanks for your reply. I had just assumed that because the fish had a large anal fin that they were both female.

I didn't know that the pleco could lay eggs without another pleco. It may be the Pleco because he/she seems to be hanging out in the area by the eggs.

And to answer your other question no snails.

You'll have to read up to figure out how to sex your rainbows. I know with Praecox 'bows, the only way to sex them when they're young is by fin color. Males have red fins and females have yellow to orange fins.

Could also be that they laid eggs and no male is there to fertilize them. This is common with some fish, infact some females will play the role of a male in every way except the fact they have no sperm to fertilize with.

What should I do with them? It's water change and vac day so should I get rid of them or wait and see what happens?

It depends what you are able to cope with. Can you afford a new tank? Can you find someone to give them to? Would you know how to ship them if you sold them?

The fish will probably eat them if you leave them, so none of those questions may matter too much, but there's always a chance of a hatch.

I would just leave them be for now. Every time I change water in my 30g my angel lays eggs on the filter intake. Once they turn white she will pick them off one by one. If they are white they did not get fertilized.

How long until they would normally hatch? My husband and I have a 75 gallon with a stand that we have been talking about cycling. I wanted to wait a bit until my son is a little older to move the 20 gallon into his room to make some room for the other tank. I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks for all of your input.

My eggs usually turn white within a few days and that is when she starts picking at them. If they are already white there is no real chance IME. You can wait it out but they'll either still be there or be picked at.

Yeah I would say if they don't turn light brown by tomorrow they are infertile anyway.

Back
Top Bottom