Eggs 3 weeks in a row!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madison_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For a few months now my female betta has been releasing eggs once a month without the presence of a male, which I have come to understand is not as common as simply reabsorbing the eggs produced without releasing them, although it can and does happen. However, for the past 3 weeks, she has been releasing eggs once a week, about every 5 days. I cannot seem to find any information about why this is happening; I have read bettas usually can only breed about every 2 weeks. Any thoughts on why this is happening? I thought maybe she was going through a cycle much like humans since the eggs were coming every 28-29 days, but now I’m not so sure.

Most likely, the reason it is so frequent is because she does not expel all her eggs each time so as they mature within her, she releases the pressure of them by expulsion rather than absorption. I wouldn't be concerned.

Unfortunately, this trait may be a result of all the human manipulation of the species. It is not a common occurrence when no male is present. Is there a male within visual distance? I ask because I have had female expel eggs while in the presence of males in neighboring tanks or while contained in a breeding tank waiting for the male to build his nest.

Thanks so much for your reply! I’m glad to know there is nothing for me to worry about; I just feel bad because of all the effort she puts into making her bubble nests (yes, that’s another weird thing about her...). She definitely is the product of overly selective breeding, not only does she do all the weird egg stuff but she also has an under formed right ventral fin and a random extra piece of fin that grew out of it and sticks out in the wrong direction. Luckily she has no problem swimming around normally.

Nope, no males in sight! She’s my only fish.

Thanks so much for your reply! I’m glad to know there is nothing for me to worry about; I just feel bad because of all the effort she puts into making her bubble nests (yes, that’s another weird thing about her...). She definitely is the product of overly selective breeding, not only does she do all the weird egg stuff but she also has an under formed right ventral fin and a random extra piece of fin that grew out of it and sticks out in the wrong direction. Luckily she has no problem swimming around normally.

Nope, no males in sight! She’s my only fish.
Then yeah, she sounds like a victim of questionable (?) breeding lines. :blink: She obviously has too much testosterone in her system as females don't usually make nests or have anything to do with the making of nests with the male. So if she is making nests and expelling eggs, she is not thinking clearly. ;) If you like her, enjoy her. (y) I would not however, suggest breeding her. Let those messed up genes die off when she eventually does. :whistle: (y)

I agree, no babies for her! Thanks [emoji1360]

Back
Top Bottom