Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
I think I have some eggs in my 5.5 planted tank. The inhabitants are 4 zebra danios, 6 neon tetras, 2 ottos, and tons of those pesky snails. I think they are the danios because one was really big two nights ago. But then again the tetras are hovering around them.

I don't even know if they are eggs though. It looks like a clear bubble with tons of little white things in them. I think my snails are hemaphodites (sp?) so the eggs are not theirs.

It looks like a clear bubble with tons of little white things in them. I think my snails are hemaphodites (sp?) so the eggs are not theirs.

Those are snail eggs, I guarantee it. even though the snails arehermaphrodites, they still "do it" :p , and lay eggs.

The dannios probably are spawning, but they will lay eggs 1st thing in the morning, then eat them all. At leastthat's what I've read.

Well, the bubble just moved, so I dont know what the deal is. Even if they were fish they would most likely get eaten becuase I cannot wait around for the eggs to hatch so I can put the fry into a breeder net.

is it attached to anything? I had a huge batch of snail eggs that looked exactly as you described. clear jelly with little white dots in them, and they were usually stuck onto something.

snail eggs are pretty small though. are your eggs a decent size? or tiny as in you have to strain to see the white dots?

one more thing, heres some info on neon tetra eggs:

"Each female can lay up to 130  eggs each time .  However hatching rate is low , at least in our facilities. Eggs normally hatch in 24 hours in our climatic conditions.  The larvae become free swimming in about 5 days."

and here is zebra danio info:

"The spawning looks almost violent with large quantities of eggs (up to 200 from a mature female) being laid in the plants. Java moss, artificial spawning mops, and pots and wood (they spawn in the crack between the object and the gravel) are favored places to leave the eggs. Because danios eat all of the eggs and fry that they can reach, to get young, you must either remove the parents after spawning or collect the fry. Eggs hatch in one to two days. After birth, the fry attach themselves to the glass for a few days. his makes them very prone to being eaten by any fish in the tank."

and here is just plain old egg info:

" For egg scatterers, eggs look like tiny clear balls that stick to whatever they landed on, including each other. For labyrinth fish, the eggs are very tiny, clear balls suspended in the bubble nest. With egg depositors, the eggs are usually larger and stuck on some surface. Cory catfish often stick their large eggs on glass and plants, and some species have colored eggs. Look into what the eggs look like for each species in the tank to determine which one laid the eggs. After a day, black spots should appear at the center of each egg that was fertilized. Later (a few days), you should be able to discern a pair of eyes looking at you if they are indeed fish eggs. Snail eggs will usually be in clumps on surfaces either in or out of water (depends on species), and amphibian eggs will usually not be stuck to anything but each other or perhaps anchored to a plant. If you still cannot decide what laid the eggs or debris, put them in a small container or tank of water at the same temperature and pH as the main tank or pond and wait. Check daily to see if something is growing in the "eggs." If they are fish eggs, the eyes of the fry inside the egg should be obvious as hatching nears. If after two weeks, nothing has been born, then you will never know if they were good eggs that died, unfertilized eggs, or just some debris."

hope this helps!

Thanks a ton YV1! By those descriptions, it is the snails! Thanks a lot! 25 kudos for doing that research!

Definately snails, you better get them out unless you want millions of them. I have a small tank here at school, and every few days I see a new batch of snails. I can't wait till I get home in a week so I can properly remove them all.

Back
Top Bottom