Eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I discovered what looks like eggs this afternoon. They are white and tiny balls (about 1mm in diameter) and they are stuck on the glass and there are a few on a leaf of a plastic plant. I can tell that 3 are already missing, probably eaten or maybe they fell and are in the gravel.

Are they really eggs? Who's are they. Not the guppies as they are livebearers, probably not the panda corys as they are still babies (they are less than 1/2 inch long). It could be the snail or the bronze cory (it swims to them regularly and "clean" them... but I'm afraid it is trying to eat them). If it's the bronze cory, that means it is a female. She's been alone for over a week. Without a male, I'm afraid the eggs won't get "fertilized" (is that the right word). What will happen then?

What can I do to make sure they survive? Should I place a net around them to make sure the corys, snail and guppies don't eat them?

They are quite high, about 1.5 inches below the water level. I suppose that I should make really smal water changes to avoid them being exposed to air, right?

What do I do when they hatch? Do I need to separate them to make sure they won't get eaten? What about food... what should I give them? I have flakes and pellets and shoudl receive bloodworms and algea wafers soon.

Can you tell those are my first babies??? (well I sure hope they are eggs...)

Thanks!
Vero

I saw it... the bronze cory ate one of the eggs. So it's not the parent. I've put a fish net in front of the eggs to protect them.

The snail was sold to me as a Zebra Nerita Snail, which is not asexual (according to live aquaria). It's round, not cone-like. It's brown and has black zig-zag stripes. The body and antennas are black. The foot is plae gray, almost white.

It sounds like cory eggs to me. Not sure though if they lay if not paired up though. I do know they will eat thier own eggs. Mine did that. :?

JC, my snail looks like that, except that the zig-zags are longer. The lfs wher I bought it sells only freshwater fish and equipment, so it'd think they sell only fw snails too. Also, liveaquaria puts it in the fw invertebrate category. Maybe that snail is able to adapt to both.

Its cory eggs. Yes they eat their own eggs, my goldfish snack on hers. Snails don't lay eggs like that. Clean them out by hand or let them be eaten, nothing will hatch. They'll probably be gone in less than a few hours except for a few well hidden ones. Congrats on finding out that your cory is a female. If they are anything like female godfish you'll see eggs in the tank every few weeks while the fish is in seaon.

So I was right in tinking that without a male the eggs won't be fertilized and hatch... I'll go get a male then!

Thank you all for your help

Back
Top Bottom