Eggs Found! Help (No chance of Them Being Snail)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
While looking at my fish tank this morning, i found a small egg sack, stuck onto a floating leaf (my moonlight gourami's love to maul my living plants)

ive read some on how to take care of eggs, but i'd like some first hand experience opinions

the eggs have been seperated from the tank, and are about to go into a 10 gal tank (only filled with 6 gal, {my heater needs some space)
im waiting for the water temp to cool down a little, then maintain the tank at 80 deg. with an active airrator

if your curious as to who layed the eggs, i have coupling albino cherry barbs, as well as coupling orange chromide, and close (but maybe not coupling) glass cats.

also ive read several diff articles about feeding babues, from infursia to baby brine shrimp (were do you guys even find living brine shrimp or daphnia)

any help would be appreciated

well gouramis make bubble nests at thet top of the tank. it looks sorta like foam and they stick all sorts of debrey in there. so from the sounds what you explained. its not the gouramis.
i dont know about the others.
but how sure are you that there are no snails.
i went a month or more with out even seeing a sign of snails.
what color is the egg sack.
any other details you can give.
if its not snails and something else you might just have wait for babies to see what you get.

Like Kys mom said Gouramis make bubble nests to breed so we can rule them out.

I have bred Cherry barbs and know they breed without any encouragement.
The Cherry Barbs are an open water substrate egg scatterer, they lay about 200-300 eggs in a single spawning and then eat as many eggs as possible after laying them.
The eggs will hatch in 1-2 days then will be free swimming in 2 days.
Cherry Barbs do not attach eggs to leaves so I doubt the eggs are from them.

Although I have never bred any Orange Chromide I know they lay their eggs on the underside of a rock.
The eggs are attached with a thread.
So it is also very doubtfull that these are the parents

I breed alot of catfish and know that they prefare to clean the glass on the side of the tank and attach eggs that stick to the side in large numbers all around the tank.

Unless you have any other fish in the tank, the eggs may be snail.

What colour and size are they?

Hopefully I am wrong and u get a nice suprise in a few days...

the egg "sack" appears to be a just a drop of gel, with i suppose eggs, on the edges of the drop, which also appear as tiny transparent circles.

my 55 gal has only had fish in it for a week, and no new plants...

other culprits of the eggs may be
columbian tetra's
glass fish
glass cats
neons
(gourami's were ruled out, but) moonlight and kissing gourami's

and anyone who knows anything about black ghost knives, they never ever breed in captivity, {supposibly one guy did it in australia} but no other cases, (unless somehow she was pregnant when i got her last night)

thanks for the help guys

but old plants could have still had eggs on them from snails.
glass cats are egglayers.
columbia tetras are egglayers and scatters.
i think neons are egglayers also.
i dont how you would tell. maybe post some pictures.
then someone who have had the same situation maybe better to assist you.

wish i could, but i dont have a digital camera...

thanks though, in a couple days i'll let you know

yes i would like to im no expert at all, but i have seen snails stuff and it is clear on slimy on the glass with like more clear slimy circles in it. and i know they like to breed everywhere.
so that was my fisrt thought.. i hope its not
and i hope you do get some babys.

half of me kinda thinks they may be snail eggs, but ive only ever had one small stowaway and that was a bit ago

again thanks for the support guys

bad new guys: the 10 gal tank i had drained down to 3 gal for the babies, dropped down to 65 overnight (we had our windows open) and the cheap heater died. i know eggs/fry like in it in the low 80's there now in a small jar, bobbing around my clawed frogs tank, (which i keep warmer)

ky's mom answers
-the other tank was 29 gal
-more than a week ago
-new tank in 55gal

snail eggs are kinda slopply layed arent they, this one is a neat drop

sorry forgot to update this...

the eggs didnt make it, i suppose when the heater breaking overnight took its toll
thanks for the help anyways guys,
matt

snail eggs are kinda slopply layed arent they, this one is a neat drop
I have lots of snails in my tank and they lay little circles of eggs that look like jelly. They are very neat little circles...looks like a drop of gel, like you describe yours and they lay them on leaves, glass, and ornaments/driftwood. I think you have some snail eggs. With most snail types, it only takes one to have eggs.

Back
Top Bottom