Electric Blue Breeding Project

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zapero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

Im sure you have heard this before, but Im going to try and successfully breed a good line of Electric Blue Jack Dempseys. I know it takes a while to get it right, but I figure I might as well try.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress. I have the tank currently in the cycle process.

I plan on buying 2 Electric Blue Dempseys within a week or two, and once the get a little bigger Ill place a a couple Regular Female Dempseys with them and as they grow take out the ones that dont Pair off.

My breeding tank is a 90 gallon setup. I will post pictures when i get some.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

nice;)

i don't know much about them, except they look awesome!:)

i'd suggest large substrate? and maybe heavy duty decor, etc........used to have a friend with an oscar and they had these giant 10" floating ships which the oscars used to bump around and play with......idk if you want that for breeding

Hey guys,

Im sure you have heard this before, but Im going to try and successfully breed a good line of Electric Blue Jack Dempseys. I know it takes a while to get it right, but I figure I might as well try.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress. I have the tank currently in the cycle process.

I plan on buying 2 Electric Blue Dempseys within a week or two, and once the get a little bigger Ill place a a couple Regular Female Dempseys with them and as they grow take out the ones that dont Pair off.

My breeding tank is a 90 gallon setup. I will post pictures when i get some.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've bred my EBJD a few times and to get EB offspring you'll need a blue gene to breed it with. Mine took about 8 or 10 months before he started breeding, and he was already at least 3-6 months old when I got him.

Looking forward to pictures.

Been looking online...

I have been looking online for some EBJD's and found some in California that are $22.00 each and they are about 3" long. I was thinking about ordering a few in the next couple days.

Ill keep you updated with pictures.

Below is a picture of my tank in its cycle. Sunday the cycle started. Tonight I did a 30% water change since the ammonia was at .50ppm.

48287-albums2639-picture17320t.jpg

Well I took a reading last night and my readings were as follows:

PH 6.8

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 10-15

I am finally cycled. Im ordering my EBJD's Today and should have them by tomorrow or Wed!

How long did it take you to get a breeding pair? I am ordering two EBJD's tomorrow about 2-3" long and grow them up for a bit and then I will throw in some JD females and hopefully them to pair off.

Any advice for me while doing this?

Thanks

Well, if your getting them at 3" it shouldn't take long. Make sure the female Dempsey's are smaller than your EBJD'S due to their less aggressive nature. If possible get female's with the blue gene to skip that step of the "genetics". And be prepared with extra tank set-ups for babies!

ya I have a 55 gallon that will be ready for the little ones.

You get BGJD's that you would be willing to sell. I mean it might take me a while to get my EBJD's big enough?

If not I will have to try and find some BG. Or just start go from scratch. Which just takes alot longer of course.

Thanks

I have a ton of BGJD'S that i'd sell, but where are you located? I've nevered shipped fish, and don't really know how that works.

Really! That would be great. Where are you located? I am buying my EBJD's out of San Diego, California so hopefully you are not located there. The place is called Tropical Fishzone or somethign along those lines.

Where did you get your EBJD? Just so I have the least relative breeding im curious?

I would definitly be willing to buy from you though.

What would you be wanting for them?

Well, I'm acrossed the country in Buffalo, NY! So I'm guessing they aren't related at all. I got mine from another guy who was breeding them around here. And if i can figure out shipping and what not probably like $5 a piece?

Alright that sounds good to me. I would be willing to buy prob three or 4 from you. How big are they currently?

I currently have a batch that hatched about 7 weeks ago, and there are a few that are nearing the 1 inch range. Definitely takes time but my main breeding pair are now spawning almost every 3 weeks like clock-work.

Dang thats awesome. Do you have any EBJD fry? or is this a first generation breeding pair?

Did you have any fish in with your breeding pair or did they kill off?

I am definitely interested and will pay you shipping. Is it a pretty strong breed line do you know?

Thats basically what im going for is a strong gene line for the Blues, as hard as that may be.

Forgot to mention....

I just ordered two EBJD's today from a fish shop in San Diego. From the pictures I have seen they have very good color.

They are about 2.5-3.5" inches long is what the guy said over the phone. So hopefully they are past that parasite / weakness stage!

Any thoughts?

First off, I have to say I would definitely still be considered a novice in the aquarium breeding society as I just began this endeavor a couple years ago. In that case, its been quite the extensive trial and error experiment with the help of local "experts" and the online community recently. I've just recently "refined" my techniques for egg hatching and fry survival, with the batch from which you could be receiving fish from being what I would consider my first success(although unfortunately the female I discovered was not BGJD but normal JD) which caused me obviously to introduce a new BGJD female which was successful. I now have 2 sets of fry from the new EBJD/BGJD pair.

Back
Top Bottom