Electric blue rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingCourtney

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My electric blue rams laid eggs last week and the fry began swimming freely yesterday
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402680586.687184.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402680629.469138.jpg

The parents were extremely protective and fought off any fish that swam near the fry. The biggest issue was keeping my angle fish away, but he quickly caught on that he was not welcome anywhere near the rams territory

This morning I woke up to find my rams chasing each other and there were no babies in sight.
I am concerned about my female ram. She's swimming in the same spot underneath some plants right below the surface. I read somewhere that after an unsuccessful batch, the female ram often becomes depressed. The male is still trying to chase her but she doesn't as interested..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402681407.664271.jpg

Should I be concerned?

Crush up some Xanax and sprinkle it in the tank right above her.. I can't say I've ever seem ebr free swimmers, next time could you separate them? I'm sure she'll get over it..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can't quite say where I heard this but sometimes the female will eat the babies if they are not experienced parents and the male will punish her by chasing and nipping for a short time. They should be okay but if it persists, I would separate them and try again in a week. Again, not quite sure where I remember that from so sorry if I am totally incorrect.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom