electric blue rams won't breed"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sasikan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
i have 7 pairs of electric blue rams each pair is in its own 10 gallon tank
sponge filter one plant also some floating plants,heat is at 83f they get fed 3 times every day live brine shrimps different types of flaques (brine shrimp direct) sinking pellets freeze dried bloodworms frozen bloodworms
and once a week live white worms they are on a automatique water change drip system witch changes about 15% water every day (cold city water chlorine but no chloramines) .I also have 2 40g
tanks with 20 electric blue rams in each same food water change ...all tanks are bare bottom they are 7 to 8 months old no ammoniaque no nitrite soft water
i never lose any of the paired rams but once in awhile i will lose rams from the 40g tanks (aggression?)in 7 or 8 months i have had one spawn (all healthy
can anyone see anything wrong here? why are they not spawning?
also the lights turn off at 7pm and on at 7 am
thanks

Last edited:
Hi
i have 7 pairs of electric blue rams each pair is in its own 10 gallon tank
sponge filter one plant also some floating plants,heat is at 83f they get fed 3 times every day live brine shrimps different types of flaques (brine shrimp direct) sinking pellets freeze dried bloodworms frozen bloodworms
and once a week live white worms they are on a automatique water change drip system witch changes about 15% water every day (cold city water chlorine but no chloramines) .I also have 2 40g
tanks with 20 electric blue rams in each same food water change ...all tanks are bare bottom they are 7 to 8 months old no ammoniaque no nitrite soft water
i never lose any of the paired rams but once in awhile i will lose rams from the 40g tanks (aggression?)in 7 or 8 months i have had one spawn (all healthy
can anyone see anything wrong here? why are they not spawning?
also the lights turn off at 7pm and on at 7 am
thanks

kH?
gH?
pH?
Treating your water? there's more in there then just chlorine and chloramines to worry about.....

no they do not lay eggs at all
soft water
ph is 7
i do not treat my water
my angels,catfish ,gouramis are all laying fertile eggs almost every week

You don't treat for chlorine and such? Try throwing some prime in there... that many pairs?? Something ain't right in your water.

First thing that comes to mind is Are you sure you have males and females? Just because you have a lot does not mean you have multiple genders.
Second is just how soft is your water?
Next, if the pairs are in high traffic areas, that could keep them from spawning.
Light hours, My rams are breeding outside so they are under indirect but natural light hours.
Where did your rams come from? Are they from a breeder, Far East, Florida, CA, etc?

let's start there. (y)

I breed them in RO water..They should still spawn in your tap but the eggs may not be able to accept being fertilized..
I feed mine pellets and frozen bloodworms..
Lights for me are 5am -10pm so I doubt the lighting is an issue..
I place a white divider between my tanks to block the vision of each other only on the bottom half of the tank.
Good to hear from you again..lets get those rams breeding !

If the pairs are not seriously bonded you might want to just throw them all together and let them pair up naturally .. I pull my pairs from my grow outs and then offer them privacy.
Of course if you add them all together make sure to keep a close eye. Pull pairs back to 10s as they develop.
I am having very good luck with 10g and pairs.

I breed them in RO water..They should still spawn in your tap but the eggs may not be able to accept being fertilized..
I feed mine pellets and frozen bloodworms..
Lights for me are 5am -10pm so I doubt the lighting is an issue..
I place a white divider between my tanks to block the vision of each other only on the bottom half of the tank.
Good to hear from you again..lets get those rams breeding !
And just as a comparison, I am breeding in well water that is high in PH but low in general hardness. So there is something else going on. (y)

electric blue rams wont lay eggs

i am going to try reverse osmosis water i will stop my daily automatique water change and change water with 50% reverse osmosis water and 50%
water that has been standing for 2 days with a bubbler (to get rid of the chlorine) i will try this for a week or two and see what happenes
It is not that the eggs don't hatch it is that they do not lay eggs at all
I know i have pairs i agree it might not be a strong bond (never any eggs)
but usually i take a pair out of the 40 g when they are over a rock and defending that corner of the tank once in the 10g they usually get along pretty good.
thanks again for all advice
i will let you know if something happenes

Hi again i did some water tests : kh test the water changes from blue to yellow after 1 drop in my RO system
2 drops in my city water and 2 drops in my ram tanks
the GH test turns orange to green after 3 drops in my RO system and 4 drops in my city water and ram tanks
i also did a TDS test my RO water is 19 city water is 65 and my ram tanks are in the 90 to 100 range
I bought my rams from a breeder in this site (beautiful healthy rams ) they are bred in NY
(i think)

Your water being 65 should be fine.. Both the KH and GH are fine also IMO.
You have my rams I think..Not many sell the EBR compared to the GBR..
Try just with water changes at what ever % to get the tanks TDS closer to the taps..
The extra 20+ is either leaching from substrate,rocks or just waste in the water. I don't think it is too high but wonder what it is.. My tanks can rise 20 a week sometimes.
Sometimes when my rams hard time me for a while I will just move them to a different clean tank and it works !

no but thanks for asking
I am doing a 30 to 40 reverse osmosis water change 2 times a week
it did bring down my tds to about 60
but i still do not see any breeding activity

How long have you had them? When I got mine it took them a month or so to start. What are you feeding/how often?

hi thanks for your interest
i have had them since june maby july
they eat 3 times a day, flakes and pellets from brine shrimp direct
frozen bloodworms once or twice a week, freeze dried krill and bloodworms ,
also once in a wile live white worms , they get baby brine shrimps 2 times a day after they have eaten flakes,sounds like a lot but i try and not give much of anything at one time. (there is never any leftover food .

Seems weird. Sounds like you know what you're doing. You said they did spawn once? If that's the case, I'm guessing they aren't all the same sex somehow. Beyond me...

Back
Top Bottom