Electric yellow ratio?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishie

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the ratio (male/female) for breeding for electric yellow lab cichlid ?? Found a ton of different ratios and can't find right one.

general rule of thumb for all breeding:

1 male : 2 females

i breed livebearers, and dont know if cichlids are an exeption for this rule.
i do know that cichlid parents will violently protect their brood from other fish, so maybe try a 1m : 1f ?

djtypykuhl said:
general rule of thumb for all breeding:

1 male : 2 females

i breed livebearers, and dont know if cichlids are an exeption for this rule.
i do know that cichlid parents will violently protect their brood from other fish, so maybe try a 1m : 1f ?

Thanks!!! I bred livebearers now I'm trying to step up and breed electric yellow labs :) (I bred platys)

djtypykuhl said:
my platies drop on average once every 4-5weeks, so "heads-up!"

what colors? male to female ratio?

I did the 1male:2female for red wag platys (had male sunset too) My prego one died yesterday by getting eaten by her "platy friends" has she was having birth to her second batch.45 in her first batch 43 saved. I have a 10G fry tank too!

i have never been able to get a brood that big. my biggest was 32, and about 15-20 remain alive at about 0.5cm long. they are 7-11weeks old now, and all the survivors are looking great. i think i have my stupidity to blame for losing so mant though. (i put them in my nursery 10g right away because it was practically empty, and i didnt think much of it... i blame my filter for the unnessisary deaths)

djtypykuhl said:
i have never been able to get a brood that big. my biggest was 32, and about 15-20 remain alive at about 0.5cm long. they are 7-11weeks old now, and all the survivors are looking great. i think i have my stupidity to blame for losing so mant though. (i put them in my nursery 10g right away because it was practically empty, and i didnt think much of it... i blame my filter for the unnessisary deaths)

Mine just got eaten by the momma :( 5 weeks here though. Is your filter covered now?? If so what are you using?

i've tried covering it with nylon, but the water got cloudy.
so, i took the nylon off and keep the fry in the breeding net until i feel they are big enough to have some common sense about themselves (about .5cm)

this method has worked great for me, and aside from the few deaths that are expected through growing up anyway, i haven't lost any fish to the filter.

djtypykuhl said:
i've tried covering it with nylon, but the water got cloudy.
so, i took the nylon off and keep the fry in the breeding net until i feel they are big enough to have some common sense about themselves (about .5cm)

this method has worked great for me, and aside from the few deaths that are expected through growing up anyway, i haven't lost any fish to the filter.

Oh I thought some fry got killed by the filter because you said the filter killed some unnecssery means or something like that. Maybe then they died of the cloudiness of the filter or something? I cover mine with nylon but some people do a sponge filter.

Back
Top Bottom