Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Emerald Corys won't stop breeding

I originally bought 3 emerald cory cats 3yrs ago for my 20gal community tank. This year they are breeding like crazy. If I didn't have a betta in there, i would have millions and millions of little corys. As it stands, I've only had one baby survive each mass egg lay. Even with the betta eating most of the eggs, I'm now up to 10 corys. Only 3 adults though, because all the others were born within the last few months.

I have a smaller tank (3gal i believe) filtered and heated for a lonely betta, but I don't want to crowd the smaller tank with anything additional. I have no decent lfs other than an hour south (which is where I picked them up petco) and I'm not even sure they would take some if I offered.

All the corys stick together in the 20 gal and they don't seem stressed or crowded. And the only other fish I have in the tank are a few neons and a betta.

What do I do?! I'm planning on buying a bigger tank for my living room, but I'm unsure how long that will be. Any suggestions?

pic of newest cory for attention ❤

Click image for larger version

Name:	zcamera-20170727_123107.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	301945

Old 07-27-2017, 01:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't worry about anything for now if the only other stock is the Betta you'll be able to house around 20 or 30 full sized corys assuming it's a 20 long. And corys are easy enough to sell on aquabid. If you're really concerned about them breeding just scrape the eggs off, they're usually laid on the sides of the glass.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdude3233 View Post
I wouldn't worry about anything for now if the only other stock is the Betta you'll be able to house around 20 or 30 full sized corys assuming it's a 20 long. And corys are easy enough to sell on aquabid. If you're really concerned about them breeding just scrape the eggs off, they're usually laid on the sides of the glass.
I try to but they literally lay them everywhere! Plants, decor, glass, even in the gravel! 😒

I guess that was my real question: how many are too many?

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! 😊
Old 07-27-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by subliminalme View Post
I try to but they literally lay them everywhere! Plants, decor, glass, even in the gravel!

I guess that was my real question: how many are too many?

Thank you so much for your prompt reply!

I have a feeling you'll be surprised as to how many Cory cats a 20 long can hold. I've had as many as 40 juveniles in a 20 long back when I used to have a large fishroom and while it was ideal they've all grown into full sized adults.

Tags
breed, breeding, cory, corys, emerald

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com