emperor tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butterfly_koi

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after some very helpful advice from another user (Mr. Knows lol) I am making my first attempt at spawning my emperor tetras. I hope by morning I will have eggs! I hope......

I'd suggest....

I'd suggest you replace that OTB filter with a sponge filter if you dont want the eggs to get sucked up or you want them to get fertilized. (Mr. Knows knows!);)

Still no eggs :( well not that I can see anyways so I separated my males and females and am going to try again after another week our so of conditioning. I did take out the filter just in case though

Still no eggs :( well not that I can see anyways so I separated my males and females and am going to try again after another week our so of conditioning. I did take out the filter just in case though

Give it about 10 days and keep your eyes on the tank. The eggs might be where you can't see them and so the fry will also be where you can't see them. If you don't see fry in that time, do yourself a favor and get rid of the gravel so we can eliminate the guesswork ;)
Then you can switch the sponge filter into an airstone. (y)

Andy Sager said:
Give it about 10 days and keep your eyes on the tank. The eggs might be where you can't see them and so the fry will also be where you can't see them. If you don't see fry in that time, do yourself a favor and get rid of the gravel so we can eliminate the guesswork ;)
Then you can switch the sponge filter into an airstone. (y)

I will give that a try! it confuses me to no end they had every sign of spawning maybe it just wasn't time yet

Andy I've come to the conclusion that you are a goober and a know it all lol I'm just joshing. :) before I separated them I noticed that one of my females had a spot of ich could this of contributed to it?

Andy I've come to the conclusion that you are a goober and a know it all lol I'm just joshing. :) before I separated them I noticed that one of my females had a spot of ich could this of contributed to it?

Well, If by "Goober" you mean someone with many years of experience and has successfully bred the fish you are having trouble with, multiple times for
financial gains ;), then Thank you for the compliment (y)

If the fish had ick, yes that would mean that the fish were not in the best of health and they most probably didn't breed.

For the furture, strip down and sterilize the 10 gal and start the tank for breeding with new water and just an airstone. Stop trying to take short cuts and shooting yourself in the foot :D

Goober, signing off :D(y)

Andy Sager said:
Well, If by "Goober" you mean someone with many years of experience and has successfully bred the fish you are having trouble with, multiple times for
financial gains ;), then Thank you for the compliment (y)

If the fish had ick, yes that would mean that the fish were not in the best of health and they most probably didn't breed.

For the furture, strip down and sterilize the 10 gal and start the tank for breeding with new water and just an airstone. Stop trying to take short cuts and shooting yourself in the foot :D

Goober, signing off :D(y)

what do you mean by sterilize? I had cleaned it before the tetras went in and I mean really cleaned it. I had to give it a good vinegar scrub to get the water stains off but had used the same filter. I have a bubble stone in there now. I think I am going to take the gravel out as suggested because its black gravel in their now and you can see every food particle that falls to the bottom. I had deleted the pm you sent about the change in substrate. What should I use?

what do you mean by sterilize? I had cleaned it before the tetras went in and I mean really cleaned it. I had to give it a good vinegar scrub to get the water stains off but had used the same filter. I have a bubble stone in there now. I think I am going to take the gravel out as suggested because its black gravel in their now and you can see every food particle that falls to the bottom. I had deleted the pm you sent about the change in substrate. What should I use?

I mean: Empty EVERYTHING out of the tank. Put in a cup of unscented bleach into the water and put an airstone in it to circulate the water. Wait about 20-30 mins. Empty the water, rinse the tank repeatedly and set it back up as a bare tank with nothing in it. Use your dechlorinator and let the tank sit with just the airstone going. You want to set your heater to 78-80 degrees.

When you are breeding fish ( actually just keeping fish), there should be no excess food on the floor so you are feeding too much. Cut back on the amount of food at each feeding and increase the number of times per day you feed. (You should only be feeding what the fish will eat ENTIRELY in 3-5 minutes, 2 to 3 times per day.)

When you are ready to try to pair them again, use the grid method I sent you.

(y)

Andy Sager said:
When you are ready to try to pair them again, use the grid method I sent you.

(y)

Will you resend it to me? I accidentally deleted it. The food I'm taking about is a couple of sinking pellets. My female tetras are back in my female tank and the male back in his. A had a platy that dropped two fry yesterday so she is in the nursery tank now. She gets a couple of flakes twice a day and the fry a put in a sinking shrimp pellet. Its not allot of food I was just remarking on how everything shows up on black gravel

Back
Top Bottom