Entice Breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clb33

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just curious if there are any ways to entice my cichlids (electric blue rams) to breed. I am willing to wait but I'd like them to start so they will gain experience and eventually breed successfully. Any tips? Here are pictures of my pair:
Female:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409541719.848484.jpg
Male:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409541952.361151.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409542039.614637.jpg
Pair:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409542084.087115.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Doing water changes has worked for me in the past. I use water that's slightly cooler than the tank water because it's similar to the rain they would get in the wild.

I have been adding warmer water to bring my tank temp up from 76-78-80 degrees F. Should I be doing the opposite? I may have mixed things up but I've herd to add warmer water to the tank to stimulate breeding but I'll try the cooler water tomorrow. Thanks. Any other tips?

cooler water for sure. brine shrimp or other live foods. could even try different light cycles. the light cycle thing is what finally got my GBR to breed

Light cycles??

Oh I feel dumb now haha but thank you

They don't look very happy. It may just be the lighting/camera. Also, is that female a "butterfly/angel/balloon" ram? If so I STRONGLY suggest not breeding them. This is a mutation that causes their spines to be bent. Causes early deaths (rams already have a very short lifespan).

Now to be helpful. For breeding you need soft acidic water. When I was breeding I used 50/50 ro/tap. My ph was 6.8. GH was around 5. Next, have lot's of driftwood and and plants (real and fake). Feed bloodworms and occasional high quality pellet/flake. If they have already paired up, hopefully you will see the females belly get dark red. And shortly after you should have eggs!

I have a video of what the male is doing now... Is this normal behavior I have had GBRs but they never did this. But how do I post it?

I believe she is a regular female just plump with eggs because all the other females in the tank were slim. Am I wrong?

I would look up "Balloon Ram" on google and you tell me if it is!

And to post the video, upload it to youtube/photobucket and post the link. I think you can upload to photobucket. I can't remember.

Ok will do

From what I'm seeing is the ballon variety is more boxy than regulars, mine is not boxy she is round and plump from the front...

rams like sand to dig nests in and very soft water , you may need to get a water softening pillow
lots of live food and good pellets
and make shore you have good food for the babies , newly hatched brine shrimp or micro worms , some fry will not eat food that is not moving and dry food and egg yolks pollute the water real easy

I've had good luck just feeding them good food have temp at 82f and having a flat stone for them too lay eggs on the water hardness doesnt seem too matter to much mines at 7.6ph

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thx for all the info :) any other opinions that my female is a balloon variety or just plump with eggs I have looked up pictures but all that comes up are males won't male balloon rams look different than female balloon rams?

Ok thx for all the info :) any other opinions that my female is a balloon variety or just plump with eggs I have looked up pictures but all that comes up are males won't male balloon rams look different than female balloon rams?

Nope. they'll look very similar.

Nope as in there not or she is?

Oh that the females and males look similar in shape ok gotcha. I don't believe she is a balloon then

Back
Top Bottom