Failure! :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hils

Aquarium Advice Regular
My honey gourami seem to be spawning easily, the female is pestering the male until he complies... But nothing's hatching. :-(
After spawning the male is great and tends the best well, but by the next day the eggs are scattered everywhere and have turned white. Few if any hatch.
The first spawn I got 5 babies, the next two none.
Anyone have any ideas why this is happening? Is it likely to be a bacteria or fungus? Or just dud fertility?

Add methylene blue to water to avoid fungus.
Are you removing the female?
You should be as soon as she is done .
The male does all rest alone.

Yup, removing the female. The male gets really upset when I move her out.
I never had this problem with my other pair, they would hatch by the hundreds.
I just don't get why they don't seem fertile. Is there a certain length of time I should make them wait between spawns? She is a bit of a hussy...

Wish I could help you more.
Sometimes fish just need to practice and get it right.
I don't use MB regulary with any of my breeding, so will not say it is necessary.
Set them up next to each other like you were seasoning/conditioning them all new for a week or two,then reintro duce them.
This has improved many spawns for me with many different species including gouramis.
Good luck,Hope this helps!

Thanks heaps! I wonder if I could pop a divider into the tank to condition them. So they are together but not. My tanks aren't close enough to put them next to each other.
I'll make them hold off for a bit, they've spawned 3 times in two weeks!! Newly weds huh?! Lol

You may want to try the following:
1) Separate the 2 fish in different tanks outside of view of each other so that they both have a chance to condition and then desire to spawn when reintroduced.
2) Use brand new water in the spawniing tank. Set it up and leave it bubbling for a day before introducing the fish. Use some Seachem's PRIME in the water when you set it up. If this is successful, it may mean the water you were using probably has to much nitrate or organic materials in it for the eggs to fertilize or hatch.

Keep us posted. (y)

Can't believe these two!
Haven't had a chance to move her out yet (gotta set up my tiny 18L tank), look in there, bloody spawning again! How can she possibly have eggs! This will be the 4th time in two weeks. They only spawned 2 days ago.
Seriously....

This may be why you are having fertility issues. Try to separate them so they don't have the option to spawn after you see what happens with this spawn. This way, they have a better chance to condition themselves better. (y)

Cool, thanks Andy. I will get that tank set up today and give them a few weeks to "cool down" lol
???

Cool, thanks Andy. I will get that tank set up today and give them a few weeks to "cool down" lol
???

They shouldn't need that long. I'd keep them separated for about 7-10 days and feed them well with higher protein foods to get them in shape. Then, let them have at it. :brows: Again, use new water to set up the breeder tank to eliminate any old water issues. (y)

Gave it another shot, failed. They spawned the next day, removed female, by the next morning eggs were scattered everywhere and cloudy. Not a single one hatched. It seems that they are just not a good fertile pair. I've switched males and might try my other female in there.
So frustrating.

Gave it another shot, failed. They spawned the next day, removed female, by the next morning eggs were scattered everywhere and cloudy. Not a single one hatched. It seems that they are just not a good fertile pair. I've switched males and might try my other female in there.
So frustrating.

Check or change water chemistry. Try bottled spring water if you are using tap water. Try RO water if that doesn't work. Try lowering the PH if that doesn't work. if the old male was fertile and the new spawns aren't, it may be the females or more likely, the water. (y)

Back
Top Bottom