Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
Fancy Guppy Questions

I am planing on getting some fancy guppies from my lfs. they appear similar to the "green cobra guppies" (as per liveaquaria.com) my question is if i buy do my females have to match that? the only female guppies i see are just a a mixed tank full, will the male pass on the colors to the fry or will i have to order a pair off the web?

Old 09-01-2006, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

chances are the green cobra male has a ressessive colorform as well. even if you get a female of the same variety, i think you would still run the chance of the fry being a couple different varieties. i forget how the genetic code thing works, but if green cobra is dominant i believe you can expect to see at least half the fry display that variety... someone else chime in if that's right or not...

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 09:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via MSN to SeanMurphy
There's generally a large number of traits that combine to make a certain colorform. Tail size, coloration, color patching, etc. If the cobra coloration is dominant, you will see 50% to 100% similar coloration in the fry, depending on the male's purity and the female's parentage. If it's recessive, you'll see less to none if you mate it to a non-Green Cobra parentage female. Either way, if you breed fancy guppies of any kind with each other, chances are at least some of the fry will be interesting looking and pretty, even if they don't resemble the desired parent's coloring.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to mrspughster Send a message via Yahoo to mrspughster
I started out with the green cobras and now have them looking like purple and pink cobras. They are really pretty. Not sure how you would just get the green ones.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to WaterPond Send a message via Yahoo to WaterPond
you would just get green ones buy buying a pure strain green cobra guppy. the ones found at LFS are bred with many different types, but if you get one whose father/mother, grandmother/father, great grandmother/father... and so on then the babies will be the same kind. if that makes sense, sorry, i'm bad at explaining. Show quality guppies are usually pure strains.

Canadian Aquarium Auction!
WaterPond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fancy, guppy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com