Fancy Guppy Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flip_lx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am planing on getting some fancy guppies from my lfs. they appear similar to the "green cobra guppies" (as per liveaquaria.com) my question is if i buy do my females have to match that? the only female guppies i see are just a a mixed tank full, will the male pass on the colors to the fry or will i have to order a pair off the web?

chances are the green cobra male has a ressessive colorform as well. even if you get a female of the same variety, i think you would still run the chance of the fry being a couple different varieties. i forget how the genetic code thing works, but if green cobra is dominant i believe you can expect to see at least half the fry display that variety... someone else chime in if that's right or not...

There's generally a large number of traits that combine to make a certain colorform. Tail size, coloration, color patching, etc. If the cobra coloration is dominant, you will see 50% to 100% similar coloration in the fry, depending on the male's purity and the female's parentage. If it's recessive, you'll see less to none if you mate it to a non-Green Cobra parentage female. Either way, if you breed fancy guppies of any kind with each other, chances are at least some of the fry will be interesting looking and pretty, even if they don't resemble the desired parent's coloring.

I started out with the green cobras and now have them looking like purple and pink cobras. They are really pretty. Not sure how you would just get the green ones.

you would just get green ones buy buying a pure strain green cobra guppy. the ones found at LFS are bred with many different types, but if you get one whose father/mother, grandmother/father, great grandmother/father... and so on then the babies will be the same kind. if that makes sense, sorry, i'm bad at explaining. Show quality guppies are usually pure strains.

Back
Top Bottom