fantail fry!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIGDAVETAYLOR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,ive got fry that are nearly 2 week old now and was just wondering about filters. I have a small marina A-131 spare and some filters but if this goes in the tank id loose the fry so could I mod it in anyway. Or what are these do it yourself sponge filters like I keep seeing on the internet? I have the parts to build one,do they work,and would they be ok for the fry? Cheers

Sponge filter work great. I made mine by taking an aquarium filter sponge, cutting it down to size, and then putting airline tubing in.

Mine seems to work pretty well. I just use it on a shrimp tank, so I don't see much gunk on it, but they seem to draw well, but it wouldn't suck up fry.

By the way... So awesome you got goldfish fry!

Been told they are hard to breed by the shops and internet,but we got a new tank cos they in need off it and the second I put 6 plants in we discovered ben n jerry is now jen and jerry!!! She went crazy spawning but us being new to this thought they might be snail eggs off the plants till I cought her at it and id seen fry in the tank. Managed to rescue about 30 and their 2 week old now just over 10mm so fingers crossed

Aww Congrats!!
I'm gonna suggest a sponge filter as well. Or you could get an HOB and add a pre-filter sponge on the intake, that'll give you enough filtration to keep up with the mess of goldfish, but keep them safe from getting sucked into it.

Congrats!! I would for some simple sponge filters until they get a big enough to handle the current from a hob. Then cover the hob intake with filter foam/aq sponge to keep them out.

well must be doing something right in main tank,shes given another hundred eggs and jerry is chasing her like mad. gonna have a go at a sponge filter today then.

A cheap solution would be using a pair of nylons! Just wrap a cut piece around the filter. The only thing is that you have to change the nylons every few days because they get dirty. Id use two layers of nylons while they're super little and switch to one layer at maybe 3-4 weeks. Take them off at 5 or 6:)

A cheap solution would be using a pair of nylons! Just wrap a cut piece around the filter. The only thing is that you have to change the nylons every few days because they get dirty. Id use two layers of nylons while they're super little and switch to one layer at maybe 3-4 weeks. Take them off at 5 or 6:)

Clean never used knee highs nylons come in the jumbo packs. Start looking for the prefilter sponges now, as I have found them hard to find sometimes, and at other times I see them all over.

Please do post pics, I just love them, and they must just love each other :love: lol

Would be so excited to watch them grow up and see the tank they are spawning in too! :popcorn:

What do you mean by pre-filter sponges? Ill try with the picks!

Just a cylindrical sponge which fits over the intake for a hob (hang on back) /external filter.

Keeps large particles from going into the filter. I guess so it doesn't jam up the impeller, and small little shrimp and fry from going in and BEING jam in the impeller!!!

If you go to petsmart they have fluval pre-filter sponges for like $3, definitely worth the money! I keep one on my aquaclear 50 and though it gets dirty fast because debris can't get through to the actual filter, it saves fry! :)

Back
Top Bottom