Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Fat oto or holding?

I got 3 otos monday night and they are all doing fine. I've noticed one seems a little bigger than the others. I'm not sure if shes holding or is just a fat female. Heck it could be a male for all i know. Anyways i think this one seems like the healthiest one i've got as it tends to sometimes school with my penguins. Pretty funny to watch.

The others are a little chubby as well so i don't think its holding but this one is the biggest.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

My best bet would be that it looks like a male, and it's just bloated. It's really uncommon to see otos bred in home aquariums. All of the otos I know of are captured, in a horrible way, put through a bunch of stress with poor shipping, that put into the US chain stores where they are starved and put in the exact opposite environment they need.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCrazyBenBOMB View Post
My best bet would be that it looks like a male, and it's just bloated. It's really uncommon to see otos bred in home aquariums. All of the otos I know of are captured, in a horrible way, put through a bunch of stress with poor shipping, that put into the US chain stores where they are starved and put in the exact opposite environment they need.
Yea i was worried about the 3 i got from what i've read about how they are captured. So far all 3 are looking healthy and have been eating. Later this week before a PWC i want to feed them some cucumber for the first time.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It may be a combination of both - but I know that my Otos can definitely get that pudgy when they've just had a good meal (zucchini day). I've seen it said that a round belly on an Oto means that they are eating well, and a flat stomach can actually mean they are underfed.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They all have a round belly but this one is by far the biggest. Its good to know they are eating well though considering I've only had them for 2 days.

EDIT: Oh and its about 1inch in length if that helps.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yep, mine are likewise.

And is that a Fluval Canister intake? For a second I was like, "wait, did this guy sneak in and take a picture of my Oto?"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vircomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

yup fluval 205.

Tags
holding, oto

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com