Fat oto or holding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got 3 otos monday night and they are all doing fine. I've noticed one seems a little bigger than the others. I'm not sure if shes holding or is just a fat female. Heck it could be a male for all i know. Anyways i think this one seems like the healthiest one i've got as it tends to sometimes school with my penguins. Pretty funny to watch.

The others are a little chubby as well so i don't think its holding but this one is the biggest.

img_1481357_0_e4e0c6e45820875f8e1f4a96cf1180cc.jpg

My best bet would be that it looks like a male, and it's just bloated. It's really uncommon to see otos bred in home aquariums. All of the otos I know of are captured, in a horrible way, put through a bunch of stress with poor shipping, that put into the US chain stores where they are starved and put in the exact opposite environment they need.

My best bet would be that it looks like a male, and it's just bloated. It's really uncommon to see otos bred in home aquariums. All of the otos I know of are captured, in a horrible way, put through a bunch of stress with poor shipping, that put into the US chain stores where they are starved and put in the exact opposite environment they need.

Yea i was worried about the 3 i got from what i've read about how they are captured. So far all 3 are looking healthy and have been eating. Later this week before a PWC i want to feed them some cucumber for the first time.

It may be a combination of both - but I know that my Otos can definitely get that pudgy when they've just had a good meal (zucchini day). I've seen it said that a round belly on an Oto means that they are eating well, and a flat stomach can actually mean they are underfed.

They all have a round belly but this one is by far the biggest. Its good to know they are eating well though considering I've only had them for 2 days.

EDIT: Oh and its about 1inch in length if that helps.

Last edited:
Yep, mine are likewise.

And is that a Fluval Canister intake? For a second I was like, "wait, did this guy sneak in and take a picture of my Oto?"

:D

Back
Top Bottom