Female betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hobgob

Aquarium Advice Addict
So in one of my books, it mentions how some fish can get gravid but not lay eggs and it could kill the fish. I can't remember exactly how it kills the fish but I believe it was something with the eggs start to decompose inside of her(I think). I'm going to look it up o make sure.
Anyways they use a betta fish as an example. It kinda makes sense to me. Since there are bubble nest breeders the male creates the nest right? If they isn't a male then there would be no nest to lay her eggs in. Anyways I was just wondering if this is true or not..

Interesting, apparently some of them are mouthbrooders as well, is this true?

Hobgob said:

That doesn't make sense, how could a fish that can gulp in air be a mouthbrooder?! I'm pretty sure that's false.

Hobgob said:

The only reason I can think of is when the females drops her eggs and the male takes them in his mouth to put them in the nest and if an egg falls out of the nest and puts it back in the nest. I wonder if that is considered a mouthbrooder?
As for your first question I'm not sure but I would like to find out. Since I have three females my myself. :)

Starka said:
The only reason I can think of is when the females drops her eggs and the male takes them in his mouth to put them in the nest and if an egg falls out of the nest and puts it back in the nest. I wonder if that is considered a mouthbrooder?
As for your first question I'm not sure but I would like to find out. Since I have three females my myself. :)

Mouthbrooders incubate the eggs in their mouth the entire until the eggs hatch and the fry become free swimming.

There are actually several mouthbrooding betta species, most haven't made it far into the hobby though. But as far as the OP question goes, I think you are talking about egg binding. I've heard of it, but have never seen it happen.

jetajockey said:
There are actually several mouthbrooding betta species, most haven't made it far into the hobby though. But as far as the OP question goes, I think you are talking about egg binding. I've heard of it, but have never seen it happen.

Hmm interesting I would like to get my hands on some of those then. Do you know the genus?!

jetajockey said:
Federation of British Aquatic Societies

There's a few on that list. Betta simplex is one that is fairly common in the trade now, I think (dont quote me on this) that severum_mama may have a mouthbrooding species in stock.

They are really cool and I'm interested in their behavior as well, just haven't made time to set up a tank around some.

You wouldn't think that a they would be mouthbrooders since they gulp air....odd. I must have some.

Don't betta fish have an organ on top of the head for oxygen exchange. I dont think they use their mouths for it...

Hobgob said:
Don't betta fish have an organ on top of the head for oxygen exchange. I dont think they use their mouths for it...

Betta have an organ known as the labyrinth organ which allows them to gulp air from the surface.

Mogurako said:
Betta have an organ known as the labyrinth organ which allows them to gulp air from the surface.

But it's on top of their heads right?

That's cool. I always thought it was on top of their heads. It must be hard to keep the young and eggs inside. But it is rather cool.

Hobgob said:
But it's on top of their heads right?

Ive never heard of that before. I always thought it was a specialized lung that they breathed thru their mouths like gar?

Back
Top Bottom