Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Finally, 1 guppy fry!

I have 3 preggo guppies in my community tank. And I finally found a fry, 1 fry, caught it and stuck it in my baby net. So, my question is how do I know who's it is & are there more or more to come? Should I just keep watching for fry? I would LOVE to actually see them being born and have the mom in a breeder box, so all of the fry are already "captured" & safe. But I can't stick 3 momma's in a box & just wait for them to drop, can I? Seems cruel. Anywho, just happy I have 1!

Also there are some 3.5 week old platies (2) in the baby box with the newborn guppy, you think that's ok?

Enjoy some pics!

Attachment 89573

Attachment 89574

Attachment 89575

Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

As long as the older platy's aren't too big no problem. If the guppy fry isn't small enough to fit in the platy's mouth, then all is well. Unless you witness the birth or separate the mothers to different traps/nets for the birthing process, identifying which belongs to each mother. Another possibility is the coloration of the mothers. I have three guppy mothers right now as well (hoping for another two). One mother has a green and leopard style pattern on the tailfin, mother two has a yellow coloration on the tail, final has sky blue and black pattern on her tail.

As the fry grow older they will typically resemble the parents (gets difficult if same father for each drop lol). Good luck and I hope you get more and more fry!

Never in the field of human conflict has so much been by so many to so few- Winston Churchill. "Give a person a fish, they'll be happy for a while. Teach them to breed 'em, they'll be happy forever" -Me
derail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You will probably have to wait for the baby to colour up. If you've found one fry there is usually more. I thought that and I found another six .
Old 07-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Did you get more babies? How is it going with them?

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fry, guppy, guppy fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com