Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2014, 12:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Finally I have a pair

Well I finally have a pair out of the six I bought a few weeks ago. The female is bulking up and the male is being very protective over her. The slate cleaning has began! Thanks Andy for all the helpful advice I'll keep you posted. Still waiting on the panda koi.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395766777.769961.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	230053Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395766804.102873.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	230054
Here's what I came up with for my breeder tank and the other is the pair anyone know which is male and which is female the one with the spot in between the middle stripes is the really aggressive one I hope Andy chimes in on this one I did the best I could going off of everything you told me

Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well from what i can see, the fish in the front has a rounder belly than the one in the back making it the probable female. If you took this pic before you fed them for the first time in the morning, I'd say it definitely was the female.

Hope this helps
Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like a good fish breeder, AndySager is there! Lol, sorry the state farm commercial popped in my head when I read this!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plantaholic View Post
Like a good fish breeder, AndySager is there! Lol, sorry the state farm commercial popped in my head when I read this!
I got that

Just trying to help the people out ( What's funny is the breeder forum page starts up when I come on so I saw it first. Then I needed to leave. Now I am back and saw your comment. Thanks, I needed a chuckle)

Old 03-25-2014, 10:46 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
Well from what i can see, the fish in the front has a rounder belly than the one in the back making it the probable female. If you took this pic before you fed them for the first time in the morning, I'd say it definitely was the female.

Hope this helps
I should also note that after looking a bit closer at the picture, that same fish in front also appears to have what looks like a potential hump on the head ( usually a male trait) which, if this is in fact the female, proves that these fish today have been so messed with genetically that nothing is safe for sexing sans actually watching them spawn. It would all just be a guess.

The best sexing method after voyeurism that I use, is to look down at the fish from above before the first feeding of the day. A female will have a rounded belly from her eggs while the male's appearence will be more of a straight line. Since no food has been fed yet, there can be no mistaking an egg belly for a food belly
Old 03-25-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ill try that in the morning! Thanks andy

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-26-2014, 12:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Sager View Post
I got that

Just trying to help the people out ( What's funny is the breeder forum page starts up when I come on so I saw it first. Then I needed to leave. Now I am back and saw your comment. Thanks, I needed a chuckle)

What? No poof of smoke?!? Glad to have brightened your day.

"Six callers ahead of us Jimmy!"
Old 03-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

KWEBB, I apologize for my distraction! Best of luck with your beautiful Angels!
Old 03-26-2014, 08:51 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh no problem at all and thank you I have read that Andy says luck has nothing to do with it but I'll take all the good luck wishes I can get

Tags
air, fin, pair

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com