firemouth fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xander

Aquarium Advice Freak
I found 100 or so fry in my mostly neglected firemouth tank today. They seem to be healthy and active. They hang out around where the mother tends to hang. I have some java moss in there but they seem to stay out of it. There is plenty of algea in there as well. I got some frozen baby brine shrimp and some frozen cyclop-eeze. I'm not sure how to make sure they get fed. Should I get a fry trap type thing? They are alone with their parents who seem to be quite protective. Even of me until the fear takes over. Do I need an automatic feeder to have a low but constant food source? Brand new to raising wee little ones here. On a side note I found some apple snail eggs in another tank. what is it spring?

IMHO, I would feed twice a day. I have only had the pleasure of caring for a cichlid brood once. It was a different situation--a mouth brooder in with many other cichlids and she was put in QT. The mother was left with the fry for a couple of weeks, until the little ones started to avoid her--she was being protective and scooping them back into her mouth.
The other advice I can offer is search the internet (I use google) for your fish and their breeding and brood care.
Good luck with the little ones!

Not a whole lot you can, or really need to do, if the only thing in the tank is the Firemouths, leave the fry in there, I wouldnt really do anything different, aside from being a little extra careful when doing a water change. As for feeding them, while they're that small, try to find either a powdered food, or liquid fry food. Congrats on the babies.

Back
Top Bottom