First time breedig fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt68005

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just Hand breed my Big Black moor with a Female Calico.....my first attempt. Couldnt believe how easy it was, they came right out. Anything special i need to do with the eggs? Their in a cermanic shallow white bowl (like for eating out of about 2.5 inches of their tank water) the tank was treated with primafix a few days ago, so im thinking no fungus problems on the eggs, gonna be warm until sunday, their in front of a west window with curtains (the kind you turn up or down with the rod) is it okay for the eggs to get some sunlight? Air temp in the house today is about 72 but its suppose to get up to mid 70s today outside so i imagine it will be perfect temp for them to hatch and no fungus problems, is the filtered sun good or bad?
Its my first attempt, and i couldnt believe how easy it was. He was chasing her around and i knew it was time. I have to say i think they babies are gonna be kinda ugly, as she is a white with black spots calico and he is a black moor...lol gonna be "dalmation" goldfish. lol

Did the male fertilize the eggs? Are the eggs clear/translucent or opaque? If they have not hatched yet, they are likely not viable.

Yeah i handbred them when he was chasing her. Shes pretty big and was picking at plants and being receptive one warm spring day. I released the males sperm into a shallow wide ceramic bowl with about 2 inches of tank water (there was alot) and then released the females eggs (around 75) and stirred them together and let it sit next to a partially sunny window. Nothing happened. They are not any bigger and are brown, so i guess fungus got to them or something else went wrong?

Alot of them hatched but then just dying......warmer and methylene blue next time definately. Oh well my first attempt at goldfish breeding.

How do you know they are dead? Goldfish fry do not become free swimming for 24-48hrs. Once free swimming, they need to be fed constantly.

I have never needed to strip fish, use warm temperatures (beyond 74) nor has MB ever been necessary for eggs or fry. I would suggest a 30-40g tank with lots of aeration for your fish to breed in with plants or spawning mops then remove the parents and allow the eggs to hatch on their own. It honestly sounds like excessive interference as a normal spawn is anywhere from 500-1000++ eggs. Let mother nature handle things on her own when the fish are ready and be prepared in advance with the proper means to feed, cull and grow out fry. Please ask if you have questions!

I really don't have the money or room for a 30g tank just for spawning in my apartment. They took 4days to hatch then they just whirled around and fell over dead. I'll try again maybe later. They are fine. In fact the moor is already chasing again. Once I do some more research on goldfish fry care. I really just wanted to see if I could do it and I did, so success.

I really don't have the money or room for a 30g tank just for spawning in my apartment. They took 4days to hatch then they just whirled around and fell over dead. I'll try again maybe later. They are fine. In fact the moor is already chasing again. Once I do some more research on goldfish fry care. I really just wanted to see if I could do it and I did, so success.

30g would last maybe four weeks as a grow out tank for an average spawn along with once or twice daily big wcs and 2-3 culls. After that, your looking at a minimum of a couple of large tanks to separate the fry by size and start to grow them out. I would definitely spend more time researching and considering the means involved such as raising bbs, constant daily wcs and having room for large tanks/tubs. It honestly involves quite a bit of work and time, much more than people may even realize. Feel free to ask any questions!

Back
Top Bottom