Fish Breeding....Just a General Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking at some point...perphaps I may think about trying to do some Fish Breeding...but something has crossed my mind.

When buying fish at a LFS....I would image that the shipment that comes in the LFS would include mostly fish that are from the same "breeding stock" or same "mom and dad" and same hatching, especially if the LFS accepts Locally Bred Fish for trade/cash at the store.

I would think if you got 8 or 10 fish....they would likely be "brothers and sisters" from the same hatching. Are there any problems that people see with inbreeding of these fish from the same hatching?

If you are considering breeding...would it be better to buy the desired species from several different places and or at different times, instead of all at the same time or the same place?

This was just something that crossed my mind as I was watching my fish and considering what I will be adding for further stock.

Thanks,

Steve Charles

eventually you'll get weaker immune, or runts. it'll be fine for awhile but you have to add new blood if your going to breed them a long time.

You'll be fine "line" breeding for two or three generations. After that, you'd probably want to consider adding fresh blood into the mix.

Back
Top Bottom