Fish Eggs!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonia

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi!
This morning, my corys were acting a little crazy and next thing I know, there are about 50 eggs on the aquarium glass!!! They are scattered into about three groups (that I can see), they are a little over a millimeter in diameter and they are white (I'm pretty sure it's from the cories). The albino and emerald cories were all chasing each other and I am wondering if it could happen that they crossbreed... would this be bad? I wish I had an extra tank, because I already saw a tetra nibbling on an egg... they probably won't survive unless I take them out. I think I'll go buy another tank to be ready for next time!
By the way... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Congratulations on the eggs. If you can maintain the water conditions you have now you will probably have more eggs every three or four weeks. In my experience water quality has a great deal to do with my corys breeding. I can't answer your question about crossbreeding but I'm sure that someone else on the forum will be able to.

Crossbreeding = Evil!

*Hybrids are like condemned fish, they cannot spawn, as they are fertile.

*Hybrids=crossbreeds, I.E.: Blood Parrot Cichlid.

Sonia said:
Hi! The albino and emerald cories were all chasing each other and I am wondering if it could happen that they crossbreed... would this be bad? - Quote edited by Guppyman®
Hi. "Emerald" Cory is one of those meaningless names that an lfs will place on a tank. You probably have the emerald/bronze/green Cory which in all likelihood is the normal version of C. aeneus. It is about 100% certain that your albinos are also C. aeneus, so I wouldn't worry at all about cross-breeding. It's extremely rare in the Cory world. Additionally, cross breeding the albino with the normal will strengthen the line as constant albino/albino spawning can result in inferior specimens. Congrats and enjoy the little buggers. - Frank/Guppyman®

GREAT!!! Thanks a lot for the info! When I bought the Emerald ones, I thought they were Brochis Splendens, but I think you're right Frank and that they are Aeneus, since they would be a little more brightly colored by now otherwise... in which case they would probably all be fine breeding together! I hope this is the case so that I don't get Hybrids like Parasite Host was saying. So Guppyman: when you say "My Beutiful Corys"... does that mean you actually have all of the ones you enumerated!!?? Quite the collection!!! Maybe your name should be Coryman.. ;-)
By the way, most eggs are still intact in the tank (I'm trying to keep my fish VERY well fed) so I'm thinking I might actually get to see them hatch if things go well. Fishkeeping is SOOO much fun!!!
Thanks again!

Corys

Sonia said:
GREAT!!! Thanks a lot for the info! When I bought the Emerald ones, I thought they were Brochis Splendens
Well, I have some B splendens and ther are really huge. Thre times the size of an average C. aeneus. I'm shooting some new pics this weekend and I'll do a side-by-side shot for you to make a comparison.
I hope this is the case so that I don't get Hybrids like Parasite Host was saying.
I do not believe that it is possible for these two species to cross-breed. I wouldn't worry at all - even if they ARE B. splendens.
So Guppyman: when you say "My Beutiful Corys"... does that mean you actually have all of the ones you enumerated!!?? Quite the collection!!!
Well, I do need to update the list, now that you mention it. I have lost a few species and added some others - but basically I have all those listed.
Maybe your name should be Coryman.. ;-)
Well, actually there IS a Coryman. His name is Ian Fuller and he is one of the world's foremost authorites on Corydoras catfish. He is a friend of mine and I am being included in his new book, going to press on January 28th, in recognition of my spawning of C. sarareensis which was the first ever documented in the aquarium hobby. Additionally he is including my spawning of C. potaroensis as he believes that I was the first to spawn the true potaroensis and not one of the many, similar but misidentified species. He is also including some of my photos in the book. I'm very excited and proud of the inclusion. You can always contact him with questions at planetcatfish.com or corycats.com
By the way, most eggs are still intact in the tank (I'm trying to keep my fish VERY well fed) so I'm thinking I might actually get to see them hatch if things go well. Fishkeeping is SOOO much fun!!!
Thanks again!
Well, if they hatch in the tank with other fish, they don't stand much of a chance. You may want to pull them and put them in a 2.5 G tank with a drop of Methyline Blue to prevent fungus. Good luck. - Frank/Guppyman®

Blood Parrots (Severum and Red devil mix) can definitely breed. The Jellybean Parrotfish is a combination of a Blood parrot and a Convict. (Info from http://www.deathbydyeing.org/Jellybeans.htm)

Alot of other fish are hybrids as well. Such as Flowerhorns, which are extremely popular. They're a combination of pretty much every cichlid out there. =p

I believe if two species are closely related they can be fertile, but if they aren't close enough they will be sterile.

Sorry... I hadn't checked the forum in a while.... I must say, CONGRATS Guppyman!
in recognition of my spawning of C. sarareensis which was the first ever documented in the aquarium hobby. Additionally he is including my spawning of C. potaroensis as he believes that I was the first to spawn the true potaroensis and not one of the many, similar but misidentified species. He is also including some of my photos in the book.
That's amazing!!! Thanks for the tip about planet catfish, maybe I'll try to address questions that are specifically about catfish there instead.
How long does it take for Brochis Splendens to reach their full size? I bought mine about 3 months when they were about 1 inch long and now they're at least 2 inches long.
I didn't know so many fish were hybrids... interesting!

B Splendens

Sonia said:
Sorry... I hadn't checked the forum in a while.... I must say, CONGRATS Guppyman!
Thanks.
Thanks for the tip about planet catfish, maybe I'll try to address questions that are specifically about catfish there instead. How long does it take for Brochis Splendens to reach their full size? I bought mine about 3 months when they were about 1 inch long and now they're at least 2 inches long.
I didn't know so many fish were hybrids... interesting!
I don't know for sure. Check the Cat-e-log @ planetcatfish.com. Also check the Catfish of the Month, there. Also - see:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/reproduction/brochis_splendens.php

- Frank/Guppyman®

Back
Top Bottom