Fish fry out of nowhere! Need help ASAP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkfalcon

Aquarium Advice Freak
First of all, I want to say that I have no experience in breeding whatsoever. And this is the first time I see a fish fry for real, with my own two eyes.

I was cleaning my filter chambers and then I found 5 frys in there. My tank is a community tank, so I don't know which fish these frys came from. They're still alive and breathing. They are out of yolk sack, so how old do you think they are right now???

Now, since I never had fish babies before, I don't know what to do. I have no tank left (they're inside a bucket with air pump and lighting for now), so I will buy another tomorrow (it's already 10 pm here so I doubt any fish store is still open at this hour).

I need your help for:
1. What should I feed them?? I have dried worms in stock, can I feed them these for now?? If you say I shouldn't feed them these, then what would you recommend???
2. Since they're too small, they can be sucked inside a water pump easily, how to clean they're tank then (keeping the tank clean)???
3. I need more advice on keeping them alive, since I'm a complete beginner in keeping fish frys.

Foam filter run by a simple airpump so they can't get sucked into the filter , a heater ( you have) and a light you have. You could grind some food you have now into a powder to feed them.Feed them often.

What kind of live bearers do you have in your tank now?

What kind of fish re in the community tank? They are probably a couple weeks old by now. How big are they if you had to guess? We might be able to find out if we know what kind of fish are in the tank.

Foam filter run by a simple airpump so they can't get sucked into the filter , a heater ( you have) and a light you have. You could grind some food you have now into a powder to feed them.Feed them often.

What kind of live bearers do you have in your tank now?

#So I grind the pellets to powder or the dry worms to powder?? And how?? I never done this xD

#What is the right temp for the water??

#The only livebearer that comes to mind in the tank is Molly. The rest are probably egg layers: Angelfish, Goldfish (many kinds), Platty, Rainbow fish (probably black-banded kind), and Pink Danio

What kind of fish re in the community tank? They are probably a couple weeks old by now. How big are they if you had to guess? We might be able to find out if we know what kind of fish are in the tank.

A couple of weeks?? [edit], if only I knew, I would've found more frys in there (probably). The rest might have sucked by the water pump and died :'( (because I remove the sponge blocking the water pump when I'm cleaning, so they might get sucked inside it when the sponge was removed).

I've posted the list of fishes in the community tank in my previous post.

Their size ranges from 3 until 5 mm (I guess).

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be Molly or platty , both live bearers.

Grind flakes , pellets or worms between two fingers of put between two spoons. Water temp around 77 should be fine.

Google search or search here might help answer any questions. Tons of info out there.

Good luck with the babies.

Could be Molly or platty , both live bearers.

Grind flakes , pellets or worms between two fingers of put between two spoons. Water temp around 77 should be fine.

Google search or search here might help answer any questions. Tons of info out there.

Good luck with the babies.

I see, but if they came from livebearers, then how did the babies end up in the filter chamber. The way in to the filter chamber was blocked by substrate. Here is the photo of it

Anyway, so you feed them using your fingers (hand)?? Because I tried pouring a bit portion of the powdered pellets in there but no one is touching them. I'll try a powdered dried worms later.

Btw, how did they survive inside the filter tank without getting sucked inside the water pump each time I clean up the sponges that's blocking the pump.

And how did they survive in such a dirty place in the first place???

This made me curious all day long @.@

Are you sure they aren't the danios? Because eggs would get sucked up much easier than fry, even my newborn guppy fry manage to keep away from my HOB.

Are you sure they aren't the danios? Because eggs would get sucked up much easier than fry, even my newborn guppy fry manage to keep away from my HOB.

My mother thinks so too, but none of us can tell for sure....

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

could you post some pics of the babies?

Here is a video instead. In this video, I put away the air pump so I can see the fish better.

Unfortunately, the tank is not here yet, since I don't know what size am I looking for.... For fry tank, how many gallons do you recommend??

https://youtu.be/Bi-4WhxC6zw

Platy, molly, goldfish, angels and danio in the same tank?? Poor stocking.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yea, the fiber fish tank that I ordered still not arrived yet (which is for the goldfish). So the goldfishes are still there.

But for the rest of the fishes, I see no problem. And I'm still confused what is the poor stocking you guys keep talking about?? Poor because they're not compatible with each other or something??

Yea, the fiber fish tank that I ordered still not arrived yet (which is for the goldfish). So the goldfishes are still there.

But for the rest of the fishes, I see no problem. And I'm still confused what is the poor stocking you guys keep talking about?? Poor because they're not compatible with each other or something??

A cold water fish and a Tropical Fish can not live together in the same tank. Due to temperature difference and gold fish produce a lot of waste.

A cold water fish and a Tropical Fish can not live together in the same tank. Due to temperature difference and gold fish produce a lot of waste.

Oh goldfish is the cold water or tropical?? I live in tropical country so the water is not cold, but not warm.

Since they produce a lot of waste, my cleaning time is once 3 times a week. The only problem is the temparature tho. Anyone know of a good heater product?? I'll look for them in the local stores.

Goldfish are cold water fish, which means they need to live in cold water. This information can be easily found by researching online.

Goldfish are cold water fish, which means they need to live in cold water. This information can be easily found by researching online.

Hmmm.... So instead of putting them inside the house which is warmer, I should put them outside where it's colder?? A heater for aquarium is to make the water warmer... But I never heard of a heater making the water cooler lol.

I checked my water's temp inside the main community tank with my fingers and hands. And it's not cold, and I don't have any heater yet.

I got an old bath tub, which is quite big and still in good condition for a good price. I will move my goldfish there after I'm done cleaning and turning it into some sort of "pond" or fish tank. And then I'll put them outside where it is colder than inside the house. Hopefully, they'll grow faster when it's colder - since according to what you say and what the wiki say - cold temp is what they prefer.

Any other suggestion regarding my community tank?? If it requires a lot amount of money and time, don't expect me to fix it ASAP... hehe....

Bottom line is this hobby takes time and money. I try to spend a little time daily to keep up with my three tanks so as not let them get to the point of no return. Weather it is water testing , water changes filter service there is always something I can find to do. To me it is a labor of love.
As far as money ; well I will not go there other than I spend my fair share to have the best results so I can truly enjoy them.

No different than every other pet. They need time and proper care and by having fish that's what you signed on for.

Back
Top Bottom