Fish that do not spawn in freshwater aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickjay

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for a species of fish that I could keep in a 10 gallon freshwater aquarium that will not spawn- either because I could easily keep all one sex or because the fish require special circumstances in order to spawn. I know that many fish, such as neon tetras, have a very high mortality rate for fry, but this is not quite what I am looking for- I want to avoid spawning in the first place. I cannot stomach the idea of fry dying in my tank.:(

Ideally, these fish would be shrimp-safe and schooling, but all suggestions are welcome!

Currently known fish:

Guppy: can keep all one sex, non-schooling, shrimp-safe
Better: can keep all one sex, non-schooling, not shrimp-safe
Corydoras: typically will not mate, bottom-dweller, shrimp-safe
Dwarf gouramis: can keep all one sex, non-schooling, not shrimp-safe

Rasboras and Tetras?

I have been told on Stack Overflow Pets that most tetras will be unable to spawn in typical aquarium conditions- what is everyone's experience with this? Same for rasboras, which I read must be kept in soft, acidic, 82F water?

You would be limiting yourself to the smaller Tetras such as Glo-lites, Neons, etc or white clouds only if you are only talking about a 10 gal tank. Fish like the Glo Tetras and other members of that family will get too large for a 10. There are some "Nano" Rasboras that will do okay in a 10 as well. As for these fish spawning, even if they do, the odds of the eggs not getting eaten by the other fish in the tank are slim. The good news is that those eggs are highly nutritious for the other fish and you will probably never know they spawned. (y)

Thanks all for the advice! I decided to go with neon tetras. In the future I would like to add a cory or something similar.

But of course I made the mistake of buying my neon tetras at Petsmart, and now they are dying one by one of what looks like neon tetra disease. But thats a whole different conversation. Anyways, thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom