Fish to help control guppy fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm pretty much a fw noob now but would a SA Bumbleebee cat work? Or a Raphael?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fish eat fish.

The use of predators to manage over population and culling of weak animals is natural design and should be included in any responsibly managed habitat.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Natural selection is the driving force for any healthy ecosystem.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Natural selection is the driving force for any healthy ecosystem.
Ok looks like u guys want to continue this topic. Fine. Lets continue lol.

Its not natural selection. Its you are selecting. Nature select for your fish a big lake. Will u be provide your fish a lake size tank? Of course not.

Nature selected frys to be eaten or swim and hide and save there lives. In your tank they have no place to hide and eventually must be eaten.

At least don't call what you are doing is nature law.

Please be respectful to other members and stay on topic.

If you have said your opinion in a "my experience is..." or fact filled way, then good. Note the original post and topic.

If you are not able to stay on topic respectfully and in a courteous manner please refrain from posting.

From the Community Rules
"Be Courteous!
We aim to ensure that the forum is an enjoyable place that you want to visit time and time again. Our philosophy is that the strength of the member relationships we build here is what sets us apart from the other boards - we are friendlier, more civil, more insightful, more mature and more fun.
Our rules extend to all sections of the website including, chat rooms, blogs, galleries and private messaging.
Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive sarcasm, belligerence, insults, name calling, profanity, anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and national origin, are not acceptable.
Do not post libelous remarks or directly misleading information.
Stay on topic by keeping discussions relevant and on track."

Raphael Catfish get too large.

Have male Guppies only, would be the easiest solution in a display tank, rather than get a fish you may not really want, and to ADD to the tank more fish.

In a tank which is in fear of being over stocked, adding a large fish might be an issue.

One Angelfish would work but they really can get large like the size of a medium adult hand, and I would not personally make that selection. Maybe not as big if there are high nitrates or not as many pwc. Hold up your hand to the tank and see the size they will be, they aren't the same mass as a hand but take the same space.

My thought would be one Dwarf Gourami, if I was going to pick one.

When I had a 35 hex tank, I used a betta and a rainbow shark for pop control in a guppy/ platties tank. Small shark and small/ med size female betta. Worked for me, might for you.

I have Platys and Swordtails in tanks by themselves and with medium Tetras , Tiger barbs , and I only get fry every so often and then just 2 or 3 . I know they have more , but they are taken care of by the larger fish . I don't mind cause I don't want a million and I feel the ones that get through are the strongest.....that natural selection thing....

Cull or trade in. I would really get rid of all the females though since they can hold sperm for a long time

Separate the male and female guppies if you can. I started breeding platys and I invested in another tank so I can separate them. Live bearers store sperm, so your guppies could be pregnant for months even without the males. I'm not for buying another fish to eat the fry. I could never do that. Especially if you're asking for it. I really would suggest investing in another tank, even if it's a 10 or 20 gallon, at least so you can get it under control.

Separate the male and female guppies if you can. I started breeding platys and I invested in another tank so I can separate them. Live bearers store sperm, so your guppies could be pregnant for months even without the males. I'm not for buying another fish to eat the fry. I could never do that. Especially if you're asking for it. I really would suggest investing in another tank, even if it's a 10 or 20 gallon, at least so you can get it under control.
The perfect reply to me is this. Investing in a small tank for frys instead of buying a predator.

The perfect reply to me is this. Investing in a small tank for frys instead of buying a predator.

That sounds really noble Kashif, but it's just not an informed statement. I am a guppy fan and have bred quality fish for many years. Do you know they are called "million fish" in their native land? They are actually stocked for insect control where the guppies are allowed to murder mosquitoes. They breed so prolifically that it is a rational tactic to control bugs in the proper climate. A fry tank sounds nice and I do use them. But if you give me a single pair of common adult guppies and a handful of weeds for hiding, I could raise 500 fish and be started on the third generation in only one year without even trying. There are not enough aquarists in the world to save all the guppies. Overcrowding a tank in every attempt to save every fish is irresponsible.

This is my first post and I am not going to engage in a back and forth with you. You'll believe it or you won't. Regards

That sounds really noble Kashif, but it's just not an informed statement. I am a guppy fan and have bred quality fish for many years. Do you know they are called "million fish" in their native land? They are actually stocked for insect control where the guppies are allowed to murder mosquitoes. They breed so prolifically that it is a rational tactic to control bugs in the proper climate. A fry tank sounds nice and I do use them. But if you give me a single pair of common adult guppies and a handful of weeds for hiding, I could raise 500 fish and be started on the third generation in only one year without even trying. There are not enough aquarists in the world to save all the guppies. Overcrowding a tank in every attempt to save every fish is irresponsible.

This is my first post and I am not going to engage in a back and forth with you. You'll believe it or you won't. Regards

Well said

Well said
I myself said enough on this subject and don't want to start the same discussion again. Its you fish and your choice yes.

Deceased horse, hello! Meet aggressive stick!

The topic spiraled a bit. Bottom line at times you end up with extra fish which have no resale value or purpose for you. At times this must be dealt with. I'm not sure euthanasia isn't as good or a better option to adding a fish eater. I mean, quick painless death or being eaten alive? Idk, but there's another facet of this to explore.

OP stated he didn't mind disposing of the adults as well, can you not give them away to a petstore?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately most guppies not raised from a quality strains are going to be a very high percentage of feeder quality fry. A pet store is not going to tie up tanks for months to rear future feeders they can just buy for a nickel today and sell for 20 cents next week. If you buy inexpensive mixed sexed guppies, you will deal with this within a month or so.

I do have a red eared slider turtle I could feed the unwanted fry to. Guppies are turtle safe, right?

Have you considered glass catfish? I have 5 of them and they are fast carnivores. When I put bloodworms in the tank, they go bonkers. My platy recently had babies and I managed to salvage 2 fry for the baby tank. The rest got munched, I guess.

I do have a red eared slider turtle I could feed the unwanted fry to. Guppies are turtle safe, right?
Yah the fish should be all good for the turtle !
I believe a noted angel breeder on this form uses a turtle himself for culls.
A responsible breeder will cull fish.
A paying customer deserves a healthy fish.Not all fish even from 'professional' breeders are worthy of someones hard earned money..There is no argument about that it is fact.:whistle:

Back
Top Bottom