Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fish to help control guppy fry

Hello all,

I have a 29 gallon planted tank that is doing very well but I want to find a way to control my guppy population naturally. It seems like every time I look at the tank, I find a new baby guppy. Right now, I have about 5 full grown guppies in there along with a few babies. In addition, I have 8 neon tetras, 7 harlequin rasboras and a bristlenose pleco. My stocking level is already very high so I would be ok with totally eradicating the guppies, even the adults. I know any angelfish would work well for eating fry but would it be ok with neons and rasboras?Again, i wouldn't be sad if an angel wiped out all my guppies since they are so slow and clumsy. Without any guppies, my stocking level would be good. I don't know much about angels...do they need to live in groups? Or can I get just one? Let me know if angelfish or anything else would work well for controlling guppy fry and leaving my other fish alone. Any advice is appreciated!

Breeding guppies, cherry shrimp and assorted plants
Nortzy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You have my sympathy. I have a similar situation.

The fish that seemed most promising for me was an electric blue acara.

Or just take every single guppy to your lfs and see if you can get a little store credit.

http://injaf.org/
http://thedelicion.com
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have a keyhole cichlid, and he doesn't eat all the fry but he does keep the numbers down enough that I'm not overrun anymore. There will still be a need to rehome some eventually, but not in droves lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Why would u guys keep a fish if u know it can over populate? U don't care for life of poor frys? What is there fault to be eaten by some fish?

I don't understand how can people just feed a fish to another fish. Its like I love dogs but I feed my dogs poor small dogs.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Why would u guys keep a fish if u know it can over populate? U don't care for life of poor frys? What is there fault to be eaten by some fish?

I don't understand how can people just feed a fish to another fish. Its like I love dogs but I feed my dogs poor small dogs.

It's not that I don't want the fish. I just don't wanna overstock my tank. There are probably 10 in there now including the babies and that along with my other fish will create too heavy of a bioload if I let the guppies grow out.
Breeding guppies, cherry shrimp and assorted plants
Nortzy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can never sacrifice a life for any of my fish.

All I hear is tank overstocking or fish getting dyed is animal cruelty. And this or that fish should not be in hobby. But more worse is when u feed another fish.

U like a certain fish. So how can u sacrifice poor frys of the same fish u love? There should be a ban on feeder fish too. Imagine urself trapped in a lion cage? How would u feel?

Anyways that is none of my business. I just hope people care for lives of poor fish. Sorry to put my nose in and change the topic.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Stock males only....problem solved
Old 03-23-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashif314 View Post
Yes I am serious. I can never sacrifice a life for any of my fish.

All I hear is tank overstocking or fish getting dyed is animal cruelty. And this or that fish should not be in hobby. But more worse is when u feed another fish.

U like a certain fish. So how can u sacrifice poor frys of the same fish u love? There should be a ban on feeder fish too. Imagine urself trapped in a lion cage? How would u feel?

Anyways that is none of my business. I just hope people care for lives of poor fish. Sorry to put my nose in and change the topic.
Fry are born into the situations.. one selectively adding the wrong selections to their happiness is a far greater wrong doing. You're entitled to you're opinion.. thought always helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookster123 View Post
Fry are born into the situations.. one selectively adding the wrong selections to their happiness is a far greater wrong doing. You're entitled to you're opinion.. thought always helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
This is what I am saying is that don't let them born in wrong conditions. That is why I got worried when suspected my Angelfish may breed.

In wild fry have chance to escape or being eaten by another fish which is fine because its nature. In a tank they have no way to escape from predators. Its the biggest animal cruelty I see.

Some even feed their fish feeder fish just for there entertainment. I remember the old colosseum of Rome. Men vs beasts and people are enjoying and clapping. This is no different.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

If 100000 guppy fry are born in lake Okeechobee how many you think survive the first 24hrs. There is a reason nature made guppy prolific breeders.

Tags
control, fish, fry, guppy, guppy fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com