Flowerhorn breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em_witt

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon tank set up and stocked with SA cichlids.
Stock is
3 red dragon flowerhorn
1 Texas
2 convicts
1 jack dempsy
And a pleco
So the convicts are a breeding pair and have been for awhile. Noticed a week ago that two flowerhorn had taken control of one side of the tank. From cichlid breeding experience I know this means that they paired off. My question is....they have had their breeding colors for about 5-6 days now and are hanging around the same flowerpot and I don't see any eggs. Is there anything I need to do to provoke the actual breeding to occur? I put a divider in to separate them from the rest of the stock. I was worried about the pleco eating the potential eggs

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Update: they laid eggs last night. I didn't know that many eggs could come out of her. All is good. The pair and eggs are secluded from everyone else in the tank. My question now is should I take the dad out? Mom? Both? If possible I would like to try and let the parents raise the fry to at least a free swimming stage.

Eggs hatched this morning and the parents moved the wigglers to a piece of driftwood. Should I take the parents out? Just one?

I don't want to come off rude, but there are major concerns here, I'm not sure if you're aware? I'm going to bullet the main points but as a side note, none of those cichlids are south american. The flowerhorns being a hybrid and the rest are mainly central american.
•Breeding pairs of convicts should not be kept with other cichlids.
•flowerhorns should ideally be kept one per tank, FYI the min. tank size for a single adult is a 75 gallon.
•the pleco produces lost of waste, this tank has got to be producing more nitrates than can be handled
•in general this mix of cichlids cannot be kept together period, please remove to another tank or rehome appropriately, if you have any interest in doing so we will gladly help devise an appropriate group.

Sorry I mixed up the difference between central and South American cichlids. All of these cichlids are less than 3.5 inches. I plan to weed most except for the flowerhorn and maybe two dithers.

Back
Top Bottom