Found a fry in my tank today !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott F

Aquarium Advice Freak
Except I have one problem. I've never had this happen so I'm at a total loss for what to do !!

I got him/her/it out with some tank water from where it was ( I was cleaning anyhow) but now it's in a little 3-5 gallon plastic holding tank.

I did put some daphnia in there for it to eat, but other than that I've got no clue and need some advice.

All my tanks are established with fish that would probably eat him ( since I haven't found anymore I'll assume his siblings were already lunch) so I'm not sure what I can do to ensure it's safety other than to raise him in this smaller container tank.

I'm setting up a 75 that has been cycling for a while now but I'm afraid I'd lose sight of him/her at it's current size.

Previous experience would be greatly appreciated !!!

what kind of fry is it?
you might want to buy a cheap and easy breeder net/box, just ket it grow in there til it wont get eaten, simples! :)

what kind of fry is it?
you might want to buy a cheap and easy breeder net/box, just ket it grow in there til it wont get eaten, simples! :)

Beats me, but if I had to guess I'd say swordtail. Pretty much what I have it in is something that is larger than a breeder box so I guess that's ok.

However this setup has no circulation ( I assume I need to put some kind of air stone in there for him/her) and the water temp shouldn't get below 76 so I think that's ok.

I just have no real experience to draw from on this one.

An air stone and frequent water changes should work. Daphnia will help since live foods tend to not foul a tank as quickly as an accident with dry. You'll have no bio-filtration so frequent pwcs will be a must.

Back
Top Bottom