Found angel fish eggs today.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T-Rexx

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today my husband noticed my angel fish rubbing on the filter and showed me he saw eggs! YAY! :D I've never had any fish breed!

Before i start i read it's best to post this
1. Tank size: 60 gallons
2. Temperature:
3. pH, GH:

4. Conditioning (or what you've been feeding): feeding them live worms once a day and a little bit of flake food for my shrimp and rummy nose tetras

5. Fishes activity prior to spawning: normal. They seemed to be acting their normal selves

6. Selection of spawning site (if any): the filter
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: nope, nada!
8. Pics are always great: see below! lol

I don't know much about breeding and I've started to do research but I'm hearing contradicting things. So I'm a bit confused!

I REALLY needed to do a water change yesterday, (%50 once a week) How can I do a water change? or should I not? The eggs are right at the top of the tank, an inch or two or so below the water line.

Will plecos eat the eggs? he loves my filter and im a bit worried.

I hear keeping the eggs in the dark is best, but I also hear keeping the light on 24/7 will keep the parents from eating the eggs. :confused:

I have a spare 36 gallon bow front tank that im trying to sell.. also a 10 gallon with betta which can be moved for now. Should I put them in any of those? if so when's best? should parents come too?

Uhh yea I'm just all kinds confused. Will try and do more research! >.<

HERE'S A PICTURE!
img_2141797_0_e333ac5fcabe093085fb63fbf0832584.jpg

Well just read white eggs means no fertilization happened and I may have two females in the tank. I'll give em time and check on them tomorrow.. see if the color changed or if they're even still there

Sorry can't answer any of your questions. Just wanted to say congrats and I also found angel fish eggs in my tank yesterday too! First time

That is true about the white eggs. You may have two females or best scenario you have a male which is 'learning'. They will spawn every week to two weeks so let them have a practice or two and see if he fertilises the eggs. If not after five or so attempts then I would lean towards you having two females.

If you ever remove the eggs make sure the water you put them into is the same as the water they were laid in. I would say take enough out of the parents tank and fill a spare tank up with a mature filter, you will also need a bubble blower to keep the eggs from getting covered in fungus and rotting.

Raising the fry is really tricky as they cannot eat most foods. You have to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp (less than four hours old so they have their fat reserves- which is what the fry eat them for) or you could try liquid fry food for egg layers. watching the parents rear them however is an amazing experience so I would try keeping them together.

Oh, and as for your plec, he will like snacking on eggs but the parents may do a good enough job protecting them and keeping him away. Also, I left my lights on for three or four days until the eggs started wiggling which stopped the parents eating them. They do move the eggs around the tank so don't be alarmed of they disappear!

That is true about the white eggs. You may have two females or best scenario you have a male which is 'learning'. They will spawn every week to two weeks so let them have a practice or two and see if he fertilises the eggs. If not after five or so attempts then I would lean towards you having two females.

If you ever remove the eggs make sure the water you put them into is the same as the water they were laid in. I would say take enough out of the parents tank and fill a spare tank up with a mature filter, you will also need a bubble blower to keep the eggs from getting covered in fungus and rotting.

Raising the fry is really tricky as they cannot eat most foods. You have to feed them newly hatched brine shrimp (less than four hours old so they have their fat reserves- which is what the fry eat them for) or you could try liquid fry food for egg layers. watching the parents rear them however is an amazing experience so I would try keeping them together.

Oh, and as for your plec, he will like snacking on eggs but the parents may do a good enough job protecting them and keeping him away. Also, I left my lights on for three or four days until the eggs started wiggling which stopped the parents eating them. They do move the eggs around the tank so don't be alarmed of they disappear!

Lol! Alright Thank you! & wow do the really spawn that much?? is that why they say if you have a pair of angels in a community tank it can get bad for other fish? & I will leave my light on! Today I checked on them expecting them all to be gone but the two are protecting the area like no other! I think I may get a divider so the fish stress less. (have a community tank) So far it looks like only some eggs have turned a super white, while the others look tan. So maybe I do have a boy and a girl? I guess we'll see.

Tan is right, if they aren't white after three or so days then they are probably ok. And it isn't unusual for a lot to turn white amongst good eggs. The parents should pick at them to stop the fungus spreading.

Well depends on conditions of the tank but yeah, every week to two weeks is the norm I would say. And dividing them would help greatly because some fish will wander into their area, even innocently, and the parents will bump them real hard.

It turns out they all turned white and most have been eaten. ): I either have females or a a male hasnt matured OR my water conditions werent right for the babies

One of the problems with fish spawning on filter inlet tubes is that the water is moving more quickly in this area and the sperm may have been sucked away before it had a chance to fertilize an egg. This puts another wrinkle in the equation as to what you have.

Besides spawning the fish in a separate tank with a sponge filter, my best suggestion would be to put a spawning site (most use a flat piece of slate or rock leaned against the tank wall or a pre made spawning site) on the opposite side of the tank from the filter and see what happens on the next spawn. Once started, Angels can breed as often as every 7 -10 days when fed a good diet. Young or first time spawners are known to "miss the mark" their first few times but I have always used the theory that you only need 1 egg to hatch to confirm that you have a male and female. Time and experience will take care of the rest.

Feel fre to PM me if you have any other questions ;)

Hope this helps...

Last edited:
One of the problems with fish spawning on filter inlet tubes is that the water is moving more quickly in this area and the sperm may have been sucked away before it had a chance to fertilize an egg. This puts another wrinkle in the equation as to what you have.

Besides spawning the fish in a separate tank with a sponge filter, my best suggestion would be to put a spawning site (most use a flat piece of slate or rock leaned against the tank wall or a pre made spawning site) on the opposite side of the tank from the filter and see what happens on the next spawn. Once started, Angels can breed as often as every 7 -10 days when fed a good diet. Young or first time spawners are known to "miss the mark" their first few times but I have always used the theory that you only need 1 egg to hatch to confirm that you have a male and female. Time and experience will take care of the rest.

Feel fre to PM me if you have any other questions ;)

Hope this helps...

Thank you! it does help! I will definitely try that! see how it goes! ^_^

Back
Top Bottom