FOUND FRY... NOW WHAT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

puhlfly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have found a platy fry in my tank and isolated it in a floating breeder cage. I have crushed some tetra min into dust and let it settle to the bottom of the enclosure. Was this a good idea? what do I do to raise this little guy?

Don't over feed. Take out any remaining food. Put a piece of floating plant like anacharis. She may nibble on it. When you offer the flake, just sprinkle a tiny little itsy bitsy bit of dust a few times a day. You can raise the fish in the container until it is big enough not to become lunch to any of the other fish in the tank...including mom.

Thanks, how about apiece of dried seaweed? how long should I leave the food? Any suggestions on how to clean the remaining? As you can see, I know nothing about this. :mrgreen:

The anacharis wouldn't be a food supply. It's more for shelter that can provide a nibble of algae when algae grows on the plant. A rock would do the same however might weigh down the plastic container. Dried seaweed may make a nice little treat.

Any food that's in the container could be dumped in the tank for the other fish to eat so long as it hasn't been sitting around for over 24 hours. In that case, just rinse the container. Cup the fry, turn over the container or rinse, then put her back. It's important to keep portions small. You should barely be able to see a drifting little cloud of food per feed. If you accidently put in too much, you can use an eyedropper to suck out the excess food.

Just make sure the water quality in the tank is stable and balanced. Get yourself a book about platies and other livebearing fish. You'll have something on hand for the next time you become a mom to these fish :) They're good at pushing out the kids...LOL.

Agree with above advice - I don't think you'll be posting about fry in the singular ever again! When it comes to livebearers, it is not a question of how to get them to breed, it is how to make them stop.

My practice has become "live and let live" sortof attitude, where the fry that make it, make it and the fry that don't, don't, and overpopulation still happens. Provide plenty of plant cover, real or fake, and you'll be surprised at how many platy juvies you will have mixed in with the adults.

it is not a question of how to get them to breed, it is how to make them stop.
I've had my platy population for 2 months now, no one looks pregnant. I did pick up some floating plastic plants and some dense plants for the bottom of the tank that I will drop in if it ever happens. Like TG, I am going to provide hiding places and see what happens. Unless I get a sudden paternalistic urge....

Cover sounds like a good plan. The reason there is only one fry now is the carnage I witnessed last week. I guess I'm trying to give this one tough little fish a chance.

Back
Top Bottom