Found parrot guarding eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twood9615

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408746640.060029.jpg
The whole rock is covered in eggs but I don't have a pair of parrots only this one so I'm not sure where they came from. maybe "she?" Just laid them and they aren't fertilized yet? I don't really know how to breed fish but the other fish in the tank are a convict, fire mouth, jack Dempsey, Texas cichlid, and a salvini, is there a chance any of these could have crossed with it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Well some of them are already white but the majority are clear almost and I've noticed the parrot staying in that spot for a couple days but I just now decided to check it out, any tips on raising the fry?

Any idea on how long have the eggs been there? Are the all fuzzy white? Or a yellowish color?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Off topic but may I ask does the salvini bother the other cichlids? My salvini kills dithers and I was thinking of trying a convict. Also what size tank are they all in?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There is a 90% chance that those eggs are infertile due to the parrot being a genetic hybrid. If they hatch I would assume the parrot would carry out brood care as any other SA cichlid but you could also move them to a ten gallon bare bottom with a cycled sponge filter to be sure that the other fish don't eat them. I honestly don't know even if the fry hatch you will want to save them. They are almost sure to be frankenfish being that there 1 parents was already a genetic hybrid and the other a different fish. There is also a change that the fish just layer them but none fertilized them. I see this as the most likely case here.

Would she still protect them if unfertilized? Because she has been standing guard for a while

She may

Off topic but may I ask does the salvini bother the other cichlids? My salvini kills dithers and I was thinking of trying a convict. Also what size tank are they all in?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The salvini actually isn't too aggressive but it does still kinda rule the tank. The convict is aggressive but I've never actually seen him go after anybody he just flares up and holds his ground haha. They are in a 46 right now but they are all still pretty young maybe 3-4 inches but they aren't all going to stay in that tank. I'll most likely rehome the Texas cichlid and jack Dempsey when they get a little bigger but for now I think they are all good. I have a canister filter rated for 100 gallons on it so the tank stays clean and there are plenty of hiding spaces so aggression isn't as bad as it would normally be with that mix of fish.

But the salvini is definitely growing the fastest and seems to have the most aggression right now even though it doesn't really hurt anything so I'm afraid of having that same problem later when it really outgrows the other tank mates.

I crossed a king pearl flower horn with a kkp they turned out ausome I got like 300 at the fish shop for them all up there was about 200 fry and they are both man made fish so if they hatch don't worry they myt not all b frankenfish and they could b worth some money for their unicness

Any update on these? I am curious to see what they look like. I have heard of Fire Mouth and blood parrots pairing but have never seen fry before.

Any update on these? I am curious to see what they look like. I have heard of Fire Mouth and blood parrots pairing but have never seen fry before.

The eggs turned out to be unfertilized. They all ended up turning white after a few days and the next day when I came home they were all gone :/

I have a pair of parrot fish and one also laid eggs on a flat stone. Looked like hundreds. A few turned white and those we're being eaten by one or both. I'm not sure if the other is a male but it certainly looked like it was trying to fertilize the eggs. Before any length of time passed I saw that they had all been eaten despite both being very protective. I suspect any of the other cichlids (salvini,jewel,red hump) or Raphael catfish may have cobbled them up. I heard the males are usually sterile but some breeders inject with a hormone. Not sure if this is true and/or if I even have a male. My ph level is a bit high as we'll so I'm not sure they would even be fertilized. Anyone have success breeding parrot fish?

Back
Top Bottom