Freshwater crabs as feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

splattered

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is there a species of freshwater crab I could keep wit a puffer? (To breed out of control in the tank as food and keep tank snail free)

Not that I can think of.

Yes, there is possible for crayfish. Marmorkrebs, aka marbled crayfish. But would require a bunch of accomodations, and what would you do with them as they get bigger that dont get eaten. And many places don't want those specifically because of ending up an invasive species. Though might be able to find them in the local waters.

Marble crays you say? Excellent, Smithers.
Yes I'll wait till the anubias really take hold and go for it. I'm thinking I can house 6 SAP in a 90 with all you can eat crayfish quite nicely, no?

Do you have an Asian market that sells live shell fish, you might be able to source some mussels, clams etc. I am not too familiar with the feeding of the live crunchy shell type foods for them, other than snails.

Breeding the Marmos will be interesting. They get big!!!

I do have an Asian supermarket but this one fish I have loves live crabs I bring him from the beach. They're tiny and it's a treat. But if I had a school I'd want a back up plan/insurance policy

Back
Top Bottom