fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trkchezz

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up for my guppies to have there first batch of fry,
20gal
-AC70
For the mothers
10 gal
-canister with sponge
For the baby's

Question is what food should I be feeding everyone?
I have a full time job, so 3-4 times a day wont work.

Should I just keep the fry with the moms or move them once they are born.

Note: I'm breeding to feed to my angles and GBR, but still want a quality food.

Feeding

I'm setting up for my guppies to have there first batch of fry,
20gal
-AC70
For the mothers
10 gal
-canister with sponge
For the baby's

Question is what food should I be feeding everyone?
I have a full time job, so 3-4 times a day wont work.

Should I just keep the fry with the moms or move them once they are born.

Note: I'm breeding to feed to my angles and GBR, but still want a quality food.

Hello trk...

The filtration may be too strong for such a small tank. A 20 G only needs a filter with a gallon per hour (gph) rating of 80. Your AC 70 is well above that. You don't want your small fish sucked up into the filter. At least cover the end of the intake with a piece of lady's nylon hosery.

I've always fed my "Livebearers" frozen foods. Brine or Mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, plankton and krill are all good. For the adults, just drop a frozen cube into the tank. For the fry, put a cube on a small plate and let the cube thaw. You can pour the contents into the tank water. Feed the little ones as often as possible.

The adults can go back into the tank anytime. The fry will need to grow at least a week before they go in.

If you don't already, get some stems of Anacharis from the pet store. Remove the lead strip and drop the stems into the tank. This a good diet supplement and will eventually provide hiding places for the little guys.

B

Feeding

Hello jwh...

Thanks, but I understood the set up. Guppies, even females, are relatively small and a strong intake can still present a potential injury problem for them as well. The nylon cover is just a precaution.

B

I have the intank covered, no need to worry about that, was looking for an answer on best foods, want the fry to be healthy so the fish I'm feeding them too are healthy.

I use omega one, freeze-dried blood worms, and brine shrimp.

Has anyone tried First bites, not sure on the maker.

I've always fed my "Livebearers" frozen foods. Brine or Mysis shrimp, bloodworms, beef heart, plankton and krill are all good. For the adults, just drop a frozen cube into the tank.

B

Should never feed them frozen food, thaw it out first.

Hello again trk...

Definitely thaw it for the fry as I stated in the previous post. However, for the adults and any fish that may be a mid tank and bottom feeder, the completely thawed contents would never get to them. If you drop the frozen cube into the tank water, it slowly sinks to the bottom. As it sinks, pieces come off at all levels of the tank and then settles to the bottom. Everybody gets a little taste, which is the way they're supposed to be fed. This way no fish is overfed.

Just a simple thing.

B

First bites is great! It's made by Hikari which I have bought from many times. I usually feed my guppy fry the first bites for the first 3-4 weeks then switch over to baby brine shrimp. Then after I switch to flakes and blood worms. Usually fully grown in 2 1/2 or 3 months

Back
Top Bottom