Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Fry age

What's a good age to sell fry?? And maybe an average price for sunset sailfin Molly fry? Thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade91789 View Post
What's a good age to sell fry?? And maybe an average price for sunset sailfin Molly fry? Thanks
Are you selling them privately or trading them in your lfs??

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Probably a little of both
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Probably a little of both
I haven't bred mollies for a while but i think it was around the 3mth mark. I'm breeding guppies and platies at the moment for trading at my lfs. He prefers them at the 4mth mark, but if he's stuck, he takes them at 3mths. When they're at around the 3mth mark, bring a couple down to your lfs(if it's not too far) and ask them...
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
I haven't bred mollies for a while but i think it was around the 3mth mark. I'm breeding guppies and platies at the moment for trading at my lfs. He prefers them at the 4mth mark, but if he's stuck, he takes them at 3mths. When they're at around the 3mth mark, bring a couple down to your lfs(if it's not too far) and ask them...
Ok sweet thank you they are about a month old right now
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Ok sweet thank you they are about a month old right now
The bigger the better..If your lfs is happy with the stock your supplying him, he is more likely to ask for a constant supply. Over here, most will only give you store credit, but i'm breeding some guppies for my lfs at the moment and he's giving me 1euro($1.35) each. He was the one who asked me to supply him with as much a i can, as he was happy with the quality i was trading to him...I have my eye on a 70ltr, which i will eventually pick up for free!!.
PS...The lfs is very small(tiny by US standards), so i'm not setting up a guppy farm!!. He sell around 100 a month....
Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Another question!!

I'm setting up a 10g to move my fry to to get them out of the breeder box.. Would it be a good idea to put a pleco or something that won't eat them in the tank so that there is some kind of bio load for the BB so it doesn't all die? I wouldn't think the fry would make enough for anything
Old 02-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Another question!!

I'm setting up a 10g to move my fry to to get them out of the breeder box.. Would it be a good idea to put a pleco or something that won't eat them in the tank so that there is some kind of bio load for the BB so it doesn't all die? I wouldn't think the fry would make enough for anything
No I wouldn't add a pleco, as there would be no algae for him to eat in a brand new tank. I have baby albino Cory's in my fry tank to clean up all the extra food and if you want, you could add a few mystery snails. I believe they ate harmless to fry. They also breed rapidly so maybe you could sell those to your LFS to!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

They *are harmless to fry lol. Not ate! Stupid auto correct.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Another question!!

You could add a pleco, just make sure it's a bristlenose or similar. The common pleco would not be suited for that size tank, it gets way too big. What about adding some Red Cherry Shrimp and/or some Nerite snails. Both of those would supply enough bb. They also have the benefit of keeping the tank spotless..
You only need enough bb to maintain what is in the tank. If there is no 'food'(bio-load) for them they will die off. For example once fully cycled, if you had 5 guppies, there would be enough bb to cover the bio-load for the 5 guppies. If you removed 3 guppies then the bb would die off and only enough would survive to cover the 2 guppies left....
Also as your fry grow, the bb grows as well because there's more bio-load...
PS..The Red Cherries would be fine as long as your fry don't get much bigger than a guppy before you trade them...Snails, no problem.

Tags
age, fry

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com